7mm - 08 Ackley Improved information Blog!

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

williada

Re: 7mm - 08 Ackley Improved information Blog!

#106 Postby williada » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:46 pm

Graham, I did not want to take up too much space with pictures, but the reason I posted them was to reveal that with a bit more insight valuable points could be grafted even though you may have had tough conditions.

If you keep good records and can paste pictures in a horizontal string you will discover if you have enough, with left wind, then 12 o'clock, then say 1 o'clock, 2, 3 etc captured on different days a general theme emerges as to how much your rifle will deflect shots based on strength and direction. You see its those odd ones you lose or catch you that you can turn lemons into lemonade to know in advance what to expect. Good coaches will screw you up and down on strength and direction as well as sideways if they know what your tune is.

A clue as to how much to move when mirage is not a factor is in the ratios of group height to width. You have got to average things out over time to see what happens. Its to complex to go into now, but light and mirage factors need to be subtracted to find how much left wind lowers you and right raises you and of course in reverse when you get a drop off.

The amount will also vary on the day and groups tend to hollow out at 1000 if the air density changes a bit because it alters the amount of bullet lift. This means you must manage a larger group and so knowing the slope of how your group forms from different wind directions and strength will help you. This I am sure Cam was a master, together with his ability to tune to know his base.

Your short range will give you a tune that will carry forward, but you have to know when a tune is not doing the damage. At 1000 thousand yards the slope of groups is different due to the downward path of the trajectory. It was a pity, Adam was not able to post a thousand yard profile to see the continuum of his rifle. His upward slope was different due to trajectory influences. On some ranges of course the slope of the land will counter left wind lowers or right wind raises. Understanding why helps.

Did you see a patter from your last group emerging?

plumbs7

#107 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:33 pm

First up , if there are any US Rilfe team members or US shooters reading the above . Could you please go away and clean your rifles again and don't learn anything from the above!!?? :mrgreen:

David I'm so arrogant ! Sorry ! I see where you are going with this ! I'll have to read ur above post again ! So yes there is a wind vectoring pattern happening there! Unfortunatly the turbulence of the tree tops scew the results a little !

I will say over on target 38 and 39 where we have been training have had little vertical ( 6 ring about) effect even when we had 4 -5 minutes on .
This is where plot sheets will help show it !
Last edited by plumbs7 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

plumbs7

#108 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:43 pm

Actually the winner of the 1000 on the weekend initials L C shows a very interesting trend on his group! I can't post it but look it up on the hex website! I believe he's Brisbane Rilfe club ! 2nd detail!

Mulligan

#109 Postby Mulligan » Mon May 09, 2016 9:13 am

What's the latest news on the 7-08AI? Is it a keeper?

plumbs7

#110 Postby plumbs7 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:29 pm

Is it a keeper ! ???...... For me yes ! It's up there for across the coarse caliber . Well tuned it can take on bigger calibers . It will do what ever a .284 will do!
It took me 8 years to refine a .308 to shoot very well ! I've only had 9 months with the 708ai. Have had some success with it at local prize meets and at 900 yds weekend before last the accuracy was outstanding with 180 vld's.

However just on the weekend I was struggeling with it at 1000 yds . Started out good but the second detail was a shocker! one can't shoot good all of the time I guess! Not sure of the cause ? Just lost my Mojo!( maybe shooting too much!).
I have a heap of hybreds now which in the past this gun loved . So back to the drawing board and re load develop as the barrel has about 800 rounds on it now !

I'm copping a fair bit of flack campaigning with this cal ! But it is up to the task! Brass is holding up good if u fireform with a light projectile . I use 100 Gr and fowl the barrel after cleaning , usually 5 shots . But is also fine fireforming with 168's.
I can't believe that we have 8 pages ! Over 4500 views ! I think that speaks for itself ! Hopefully this will be my last comment on it ! This is a wonderful resource for anyone contemplating this great little cal! I hope again that there are better shots than me that can really show what it can do!
Regards Graham
Last edited by plumbs7 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plumbs7

#111 Postby plumbs7 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:56 pm

Some interesting facts that I found out . The first person that I know of that chambered this cal in Australia that I know of was Wilddog and V North..::ld . Wilddog blitzed his club at Cannon hill for 1 weekend with it . Then cut it up and turned it into a .284 and went to help win the 2013 worlds with the .284!

williada

#112 Postby williada » Mon May 09, 2016 10:10 pm

Graham the last point you make is very valid.

Team Shooting, with due respect to the trigger pullers and the accuracy of their gear, best serves the team score if it is all the same because the weaker link is the coaches. Yes some brilliant coaches can accommodate characteristics of different rifles, but if you had unlimited resources you would run with what the coach uses because they are subconsciously used to it.

In Wild Dog's case he could shoot a stick because he knows what makes them tick.

Mulligan

#113 Postby Mulligan » Tue May 10, 2016 2:06 pm

Graham, any advice on reamer specs?
Did you get you reamer from the States? If so who has the specs?
Do you still think the 30" barrel is the way to go?
Thanks for the help
CW

plumbs7

#114 Postby plumbs7 » Tue May 10, 2016 3:16 pm

Sorry mate don't have specs ! I would shorten my neck somewhat and increase powder volume and throat out for 180's with a couple of mm or more of seat depth into neck but minimum, and keep in mind throat erosion .

Mine is a standard ackley .312 dia. I would go at least .314 if using 308 brass and 4 thou neck clearance . Pesco sourced reamer likely from tool and gauge .

30" most defiantly. Case volume not big enough to use any longer barrels ! Good luck , let us know how u go??

Mulligan

#115 Postby Mulligan » Tue May 10, 2016 9:45 pm

plumbs7 wrote:Sorry mate don't have specs ! I would shorten my neck somewhat and increase powder volume and throat out for 180's with a couple of mm or more of seat depth into neck but minimum, and keep in mind throat erosion .

Mine is a standard ackley .312 dia. I would go at least .314 if using 308 brass and 4 thou neck clearance . Pesco sourced reamer likely from tool and gauge .

30" most defiantly. Case volume not big enough to use any longer barrels ! Good luck , let us know how u go??

Great, thanks
I am planning on .220 freebore and bumping the shoulder .017
CW

plumbs7

#116 Postby plumbs7 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:04 pm

Yes I know , I thought we all had seen the last of this thread. I just don't want to lead anyone astray though. I have given up on the lil 7-08 Ai as in the end it's like reving a hi performance chev v8 flat out at 8000 rpm . Yes it will put out the horsepower put eventually it will fail ! As compared to the .284 or Saum . Is like the slow reving big block that puts out the power all day long no sweat!

I have given up on the 7-08 Ai and have changed to .284 win . I did manage to get it to work at 1000 yds but it's marginal . As for a prize meet cal with 168's I think it's great for that or 180's maybe pushed not so hard in the 2720-2750 fps area . I nearly cut up my chamber a few times over the past few weeks to .284 . But the lil 7-08 Ai still lives and will be developing a milder load down the track just for prize meets only! Regards Graham.

Edit : load developing just for fun comps!
10 shots at 2720 fps 180 Gr pills at 100 m
I didn't want to post and put back at the top of the topics board ! I think people have been tortured enough ? But interesting just the same lol!
Still the Bart barrel easy 1400 rounds on now ! Still going good ! But at Monto the barrel went off and just needed a good clean ! :wink:

Ps the low shot was a fast one and went low while the slow shots went high ! So indicating a positive barrel tune!

11.09.16 update just for the Faithfull !
The above load worked an absolute treat at Goondiwindi Prize meet !
At 2720 fps in very windy conditions especially day 1 sweepstakes 700 m's . It just hammered with 180's . The lil cartridge was up against wsm's and .284's pushing well over 2930 fps .
So a David and Goliath story there!
Was so accurate my Mother in law could have Won it !
Day 1 2nd by a point when I choked on the last shot at 86.5 (90) 15 count.
Day 2 had a rare win in open ( dropped 3 over 4 ranges . Sent 1 high and bled 2 to drop offs )
Day 3 , I retired for Fathers Day with the Family .
Was lots of fun and is a great little cal up to 800 yds and maybe even 900 at those speeds !

Update 2:11:16
6th Northarm prize meet 29.11.16, was fireforming and talking heaps!
2nd lily district prizemeet at Northarm
3rd for grand agg both days ! Was extremely tough conditions!
Was good to settle a personal gripe with Northarm and the 7-08 Ai. As last year came last ! Pulling the barrel now and concentrating on .284 win
Last edited by plumbs7 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Quick

#117 Postby Quick » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:50 am

Mulligan,

Sounds like you got my reamer exactly.

Graham,

I havent given up on it yet. If your happy with the limitations then it works I think. But yeah. Have fun with the 284 mate :)
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

watrob

#118 Postby watrob » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi All,

I really enjoyed reading this thread and have read it many times over. I too have a 7-08ai, 30" Krieger 9" twist 5R barrel on a Kelbly M1 stock running a 80x March scope, rifle weighs just under 17lbs. I use it mainly for 300 & 500M Fly Light Gun and run 168gr VLD Berger's. The rifle was built around this bullet, I never designed the rifle to shoot 1000yds or 180gr Berger's.

But I do find the 7-08ai a Touchie rifle, I tried & found pushing 180gr Berger's a little too much for this case and that the 168gr Berger are a more suitable fit considering the rifle was built around a 168gr Berger. I also found that pushing the 168gr Berger's to hard looses accuracy, with this in mind and only needing to reach 300m & 500m ranges, running on a lower node the 7-08ai can be a very accurate rifle.

I run a 7 WSM HG (25lb with 80x March scope) for my 180gr Berger's at 300m & 500m, now I am not saying that a 7-08ai cannot shoot 180gr Berger's, but with my 2 guns running the same equipment in scope & rifle stock on the rest & bag my recoil is identical which makes shooting the two weight classes very easy as at Club Meets as we have two targets up at once (1 for LG & 1 for HG). I find that 168gr Berger's out of a 7-08ai and 180gr Berger's out of the 7 WSM are fairly close when running at around the 2900fps and 2970fps mark which makes it very easy when after a 10 min break to move onto your HG.

This is a great thread and a must read for all 7.08ai owners. Thanks

watrob

#119 Postby watrob » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:29 pm

I shot the 500M Fly today at the Madden Range in Belmont, pretty windy conditions and very bad mirage, so much so could not see the bullet holes. Shot the 7-08ai in LG and got the smallest group at 1.2"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Quick

#120 Postby Quick » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Well that barrel works......
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”