Internal Case Cleaning

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

littlebang556

Case Cleaning

#16 Postby littlebang556 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:26 am

Still seeking to find a reasonably priced ultrasonic cleaner.
If someone could guide me in the right direction please.
Doesn't need to be a huge setup so long as it has been tried and works.
Thank you.

Regards

Rob Alman

RAVEN

#17 Postby RAVEN » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:50 am

Hi Rob I got one through EBAY it is all SS and has time selection and is heated this can be adjusted as well all digital display will hold about 50X284 cases in metal basket supplied with unit.
Cleans the cases inside and out really well I only use cream of tartar and water sometimes with a little detergent if I have lube on them I also tumble to get them polished brite.
cheers
RB :D

daj

#18 Postby daj » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:37 am

G'day Rob,

My ultrasonic cleaner sounds a lot like Raven's - S/S, heated, digital display, wire basket. It's a Digital Pro DSD80A5QS and cost $217 new. There are cheaper models out there on ebay like the plastic one mentioned on the 6mmbr site.

Using 800ml pyrex beakers (avail. Myers) for the cases and cleaning fluid keeps the U/S tank clean and speeds up batch processing.

I've experimented with the following cleaning fluids, with and without added detergent:

Tartaric Acid (1 teaspoon in 1 litre of water)
Citric Acid (1 teaspoon in 1 litre of water)
CLR (5% Sulfamic Acid)
Vinegar (equal parts vinegar and water)

All the above worked ok, but the best I've tried is L & R Ultrasonic Cartridge Case Cleaner LR248 (avail. Grycol). At $120 for 4 litres (delivered) it seems expensive. However, the concentrate lasts very well and can clean 100 cases in under an hour for less than $0.50.

So, if you shoot an awful lot, or can arrange to share costs with some other shooters, it might be worth looking at the LR248 cleaner. (Note, LR248 cleans well but it does not polish like a tumbler.)

Regards,
David

littlebang556

Digital Pro DSD80A5QS

#19 Postby littlebang556 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:54 pm

Sound like what I am looking for, any idea where I might find a Digital Pro DSD80A5QS!!!

The part about splitting the costs may be a viable option but since I dont own a tumbler (curently use a rotary type designed to moly coat projectiles) makes it all that much cheaper.

Would be interesting to find out if they make a smaller model as 100 x .223 cases dont take up as much room as most others.

Cheers

Rob Alman

Ken L

Re: Internal Case Cleaning

#20 Postby Ken L » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:09 am

littlebang556 wrote:I have tried all of the methods above except Clorox as I am unable to locate it in any of the shops in my 1 horse town.
I have also heard of a petrolium based product called Naphtha that is supposed to do a brilliant job but it too seams to elude me.
If anyone knows where I might find some please let me know

Cheers

This is what I use http://www.ajstools.com/products/other/elma.html
There are a number on EBay at the moment so do a search " Ultra sonic Cleaner)

daj

#21 Postby daj » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:35 am

Rob,

any idea where I might find a Digital Pro DSD80A5QS

Just checked ebay & the company I bought mine from is no longer listed. The only Digital Pro I could find by another dealer is larger and more expensive. ($500)

This is the one mentioned on 6mmbr and seems to have quite a following in the US: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MASSIVE-ULTRASON ... dZViewItem

Regards,
David

Return to “Equipment & Technical”