Where was everyone !!!!!!!!!!

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Where was everyone !!!!!!!!!!

#1 Postby Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:18 pm

ed
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cameron Mc

#2 Postby Cameron Mc » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:21 pm

Matt, I "watched" the Nationals via the web. I too was surprised and disappointed with the numbers. Then I had to ask myself, why are,nt you there, just 3 hours drive away.
I made the excuse, due to work commitments.......next year.
I could have made it.

Just being honest
Cameron

Tony Q

#3 Postby Tony Q » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:51 pm

Sorry Matt, I was doing the Training Day at MBRC ... SA

Next year (wonder how many times you have heard that one?)
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

#4 Postby Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:59 am

:o Hello Matt! It is very distressing to hear the the numbers. I attend nine prize shoots a year, and make Brisbane (1400km) away every two years. These numbers bears out what I was concerned about in my resent letter to the ATR.

In order to have a good turnout at a shoot, one must promote the shoot, we are a slack lot, and need a bit of prodding. this is because we have been lathargic for far to long. If I can get 20 F Class shooters to a midweek local club F Class competition , and draw shooters from over 1000ks away, it proves that F Class shooters will travel to a good shoot.

I am supprised that the QRA F Class shooters didn't support their own patch, and no doubt there is a good reason why. Those guys are very competitive and don't back away from competition.

Matt! With this message you have just done a bit of promotion for the next years Nationals. God willing I will be there, and what about it Guys & girls, can we lift our act for 2006, and put 50, yes! you read it right. I say 50 Open F Class shooters on the mound at the Nationals next year - The way to do it is to put in your diary now, then you have 12 months to get your gear up to scratch, and save up the bikies. Keep em in the ten. John Lorimer . :D

Lynn Otto

#5 Postby Lynn Otto » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:15 pm

Hi guys

I would like nothing better than to shoot the Nationals, alas they currently fall in the middle of University exams. Of course that isn't forever (I Hope), I'll get there eventually. Queensland just isn't a good place for the Nationals - goegraphically, how much further away can they get, and we live in SA, it's so much further for people from Perth.

I feel that the Nationals is something that should rotate around the states as with so many other sports, at least then everyone gets a chance to shoot them when they are hosted by their home state. I am not conversant with the reasons for them being a static location, perhaps some one can enlighten me.

Lynn Otto

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:37 pm

How about this then?

In the Events forum, we create a topic for every Queen's shoot for the next 12 months (from the 2005 Queensland to the 2006 Nationals) which is named e.g. "Who Will Be at the 2006 National Queens?". People can post in these forums to announce well ahead (up to 12 months) of the events that they intend to be there. This should (a) increase the likelihood that they WILL be there (because others are "expecting" them), and (b)encourage others to join them, in the knowledge that there will be a good field to compete against. If people change their mind about attending, they can return to the forum and say so. Only excuses such as death will be acceptible :mrgreen: ! If numbers are not looking good as a Queens shoot approaches, one of the pledged attendees may want to post e.g. "Are any Queensland Shooters coming to their own Queens?" and get people off their bums in time to rescue the numbers BEFORE the event.

Along with discussion of future rule changes, I see this function as one of the most useful things that can come out of these forums.

Alan :)

bruce moulds

#7 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:04 pm

hi all,
we wondered what would happen to attendances when the queens was even more decentralized than canberra. now we know!
(please don't use bill as an example as he is a statistical aberration.)
maybe we should look at alice springs as being more central. the nt govt seems goahead in its attitude to such things.
please have it when gardening work is at its quietest(may), so i can go
regards,
bruce moulds.

Cameron Mc

#8 Postby Cameron Mc » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:27 pm

Bruce, alot of Qld F Class shooters didnt show, including myself.
Also as a matter of interest without the Kiwi,s and Pom,s, the A Grade TR list would have looked sad.
I honestly do not believe distance is the problem.

My thoughts
Cameron

Tony Q

#9 Postby Tony Q » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:31 pm

Distance and cost is certainly a potential problem for me, not to mention there are 2 shooters in my houshold. Also as i run a building company time off is not allways an option.

As Bruce suggested, Alice Springs would certainly be more achivable than Queensland.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

Lynn Otto

#10 Postby Lynn Otto » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:59 pm

Again, why does it have to be a static location, why can't it rotate around the states, they all have a range capable of hosting it.

Most major sports do just this for their national level competition, apart from anything else it cuts down on some of the 'we're more important than you' politics.

Like I said I'm too new to this sport to know some of the reasons things happen. Could some-one please explain to me why and just who got to decide where this event was to be held.

Lynn Otto

AlanF

#11 Postby AlanF » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:26 pm

Lynn,

I haven't thought a lot about the practicalities of moving the National Queens around, but I'm with you on the concept.

I heard the decision re Brisbane was made mainly because the NRAA Council at that time was stacked with Queenslanders :mrgreen: ! I'm sure someone will set the record straight if that is not what happened.

You know, there is no reason why ozfclass.com as a group, couldn't nominate their own Australian Championship, by selecting a different Queens each year, and turning up there in droves. The NRAA wouldn't need to be asked to make any changes. The important thing for F-Class shooters would be what WE recognise as the Nationals. I don't think the State Associations would argue with that, particular the ones we choose to annoint for the Championship :wink: !

What say you?

Alan

AlanF

#12 Postby AlanF » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:22 am

Lynn,

I just did some research in old ATR magazines. It appears that a decision was made by our 5 member board in early 2003 that Belmont would become the "home" of the NRAA. It appears there was no requirement for consultation with members. Interestingly there was a reasonable geographical spread of members represented on that Board - Tas, Vic, NSW, Qld, NT (no WA or SA). If you have a look at ATR No 44 page 4 under Board Decisions, it gives the reasons why there had to be a "home" - basically coz all the others have! (Bisley in the UK etc.)

Hmmm...

Alan :?

jlorimer

#13 Postby jlorimer » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:53 am

Alan, I think if you look further ,you will find the reason Brisbane was shosen, was because the Belmont Complex, has all the facilities in place to run international events. Also a couple of clicks away is the international airport. This was all brought about, due to the commonwealth Games being held in Brisbane in the past .I don't think politics were involved at all in the decision to relocate. The facilities are located in the heart of Brisbane surburbia (amazing!), and cater for just about every shooting discipline you can think of.
On my first visit to the complex, I was amazed at the size of the complex & the facilities available. I honestly think that the NRAA has got this one right.

I don't think the distance bit is the major issue here, it is of concern, but, if shooters really want to go to a competition, then distance just becomes another varible to get to the shoot. There are a lot of shooters out there, who will not to to Brisbane, out of principal, because the shoot was always held in Camberra in the past - Over time things change, and we as shooters have to adapt to change ,or get left behind.

I have said this before,and time will prove me right. The only way to get numbers to shoots these days, no matter where the location, is to (A) Do everything possible to promote the shoot, &, (B) Run a good show, so shooters will talk about the great shoot they attended, and will go back again next year .
Keep em in the ten. John Lorimer

Attendance

#14 Postby Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:45 am

I only have a small amount to spend and have just gone to a Funeral yesterday and have been ill i havent fired a shot in over 6 weeks. i have been trying to have equiptment ready and out at my clud for weekend shoots even though i have been unable to shoot. I am of the opinion that a National F Class championship should be conducted and run for F Class open and Standard on championship targets and it could be bidded on by states and you must have 2 years break between re nominating for it in Regions/states so North Queeensland could be seperate to South Queensland.

This would be away to have all F Class shooters representing there association and club and bring a unified and profesional front to show how prowd we are to shoot and how well F Class can present itself an the Future disipline to be involved with for long range shooting in Australia and the World.

Cheers Bill

ps i am trying to plan to be over for the SA Queens

John S

National Queens in Qld

#15 Postby John S » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:22 am

Hi.
I have contact with a lot of Shooters
I have ask why they don't attend the Queens in Brisbane the answer is it is in the wrong place and will support and attend the ACT Queens instead.

So until the National Queens is back in its home place the support is going down as can be seen by blind Fred.

Have a good day

John S.

Return to “General Forum”