Unusual Question - Please help if able!!!!

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

Quick

Unusual Question - Please help if able!!!!

#1 Postby Quick » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:50 am

G'day all. Im looking at getting my first centrefire in .308 for Fullbore. Ive found a rifle that could be what I'm looking for but it would need Peeps put on it. Its an Omark with the original stock it looks like with the top wood removed. It currently has a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 scope mounted on it. Its $500 from Geraldton here in WA.

What I'm wondering is there a way that I can have peeps mounted, but also be able to be taken off by me and then I could put the scope back on if I wanted to shoot it with the scope for a bit. Esentially quick release mounts for the peeps. The rear sight I know can be taken off with out much hassle but what about the front sight? It would get in the way for the scope if left on there.

Bear in mind that I'm on a budget so if I could have a rifle that does more than one role that would be good. Thanks in advance guys. I realise that its a wierd request but thanks.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Simon C

#2 Postby Simon C » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Gday mate,

that is not a problem. U can use a Parker Hale style front block on the barrel and remove the tunnel as required. If you spend a little more, u can get a mcRorie or Sinclair front sight which would be easier in my opinion.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Quick

#3 Postby Quick » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:37 pm

Ok then cheers mate. That makes life easier. Ok then forgive the total newbie question which is next. What parts for the sights both front and rear would I need to make this a Fullbore rifle. Also total cost would be much help.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Simon C

#4 Postby Simon C » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:06 pm

U need a central sight for the rear. Ask around at the club or at the rifle assoc store as someone will have one spare....even on this site if u ask around. Expect to pay about $100. That will give you elev/windage adjustment with a peep sight.

The front sight can be fixed (like a parker hale) with rings in the front. OR it can be adjustable in height (like the Sinclair/McRorie). This gives u adjustment in the front and rear sights - basically allows u to keep your head in a pretty consistent position should you not have an ajustable cheekpiece on the stock.

My advice to you would be to get along to your local club and ask for assistance. I'm sure you will get the help you need. The other WA shooters over here should be able to help too. Good luck \:D/
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Quick

#5 Postby Quick » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Im going be asking the guys at my club when Im next there, in about 3 weeks. The Queens is the weekend when I can next be there but I doubt anyone will be shooting at Bindoon. Thanks a bunch mate.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Quick

#6 Postby Quick » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:55 pm

I had a look at the Sinclair website and I found their front sights. For the Match Rifle one which seems to be the exact one that I would need for what I want, its only $135.50 USD, so around $170 AUD w/o shipping. It doesnt look to complex, which I like. I'll seriously have a look at this, Once I get the rifle, that is. :lol: Whats a good rear sight worth, or would a Parker Hale type be fine coupled with this?
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

VickiMcc

#7 Postby VickiMcc » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Mate. it seems you are flying by the seat of your pants here. Why dont you go down to your club and ask lots of questions and see whats in use. I am sure there are lots of old sights hidden in some of the older members cupboards which were put there for a rainy day. Ask lots of questions to lots of people. Dont rush in. Then sit back and think it through

Quick

#8 Postby Quick » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:23 pm

Yeah cheers mate, I'm going to be asking tons of questions when Im next there. I just like finding stuff out, asking what people think. Thanks for your help guys, much appriciated.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Simon C

#9 Postby Simon C » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:36 pm

VickiMcc wrote:Mate. it seems you are flying by the seat of your pants here. Why dont you go down to your club and ask lots of questions and see whats in use. I am sure there are lots of old sights hidden in some of the older members cupboards which were put there for a rainy day. Ask lots of questions to lots of people. Dont rush in. Then sit back and think it through

Great advice.....you'll find that shooters are always willing to help new people into the sport. Incidentally, the queens is often a good place to pick up gear. Maybe if you talk to some of your club members who are going and meet them there after the day's shooting is over....or go early and have a look at what people are using. If you manage to work out what you need and put a notice on the board there listing what you are after, I'd be pretty sure that you will get what you need.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Quick

#10 Postby Quick » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:53 pm

Yeah, Im hoping to be able to get down to the Queens in 2 weeks time. Hopefully.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”