Sighting.. Ring sizes ...Eagle eyes and Adjustable diopters

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

richmac

Sighting.. Ring sizes ...Eagle eyes and Adjustable diopters

#1 Postby richmac » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:56 pm

Hi All
I would like to discuss with the forum what combinations they use when shooting with Eagle eyes....adjustable diopters and ring sizes with a 30 inch barrel.
I know every shooter is different with what they use and I thought if we had some input into the forum quite a lot of shooters could get some benefit out of it.
For me at 300 yards I use a 6.2 ring with a .5 eagle eye.
Some shooters I know can use up to 7.3 @ 300 with a .5 Eagle eye.I suppose this would change on different ranges eg Mt Barker dark sighting....Lower Light and Murray bridge sun on the targets.
I have also spoken to shooters that have been using adjustable diopters,quite a few have said that their centre line changes when they adjust the diopter.
I also have also seen on the Triple J web site that they have the ajustable Eagle eye .3 to .5....has anyone tried these out as I am interested to see how they perform I know they had a little hiccup when they were first come out as when they were moved the zero changed....I think that has been rectified. :)
Lets have your thoughts
Rich :D

Simon C

#2 Postby Simon C » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Gday Rich,

I've been shooting target rifle for about 6 months now and this is what I have found:

I use a 0.3 across the entire course (ie to 1000yds) and a variable ring in my front sight. The front sight is the sinclair match rifle one which allows u to use the gehman screw in tubes which for me, gets rid of the problem of bright targets or light trying to enter the tunnel causing me to lose the bottom of the annulus etc.. The EE is on the target side of the ring.

I'm not surprised that the variable diopters result in CL changes. The lenses would need to be perfectly ground to have an optical center. Hence why other people find similar issues changing from a 0.3 to a 0.5 EE. This is one of the reasons why I havent used the 0.5 yet.

I'll check my score book tomorrow and post my ring sizes with the 0.3 for the different ranges I've shot the rifle over.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Woody_rod

#3 Postby Woody_rod » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:27 pm

richmac,

I use (well, used) a McRorie front sight with Gehmann adjustable ring, Gehmann rear iris.

Ring sizes usually start at 4.2 or 4.3 at 300. I dont start using a 0.3 EE until 600y, as my front ring does not go big enough (up to 4.5). I now use the front tunnel backwards (the adj ring at the front) due to light entering the tube and mucking up my sighting.

I use no more than 0.7mm rear peep size, no matter what the lighting conditions, at times as low as the peep will go - 0.5mm.

littlebang556

Ring Sizes Per range

#4 Postby littlebang556 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:19 pm

Well as many of you know, I am using a pee rifle (still)...which makes no diff to the ring sizes but I do have a variable in place which I suspect would rotate on its lonesome if it was connected to a larger calibre (that I still have not had a go at).

Now yards are diff to meters for me so I will list all.

My .5 EE stays in for ALL ranges and I have a witness mark on the side so that when removed for cleaning I have piece of mind that all is central when put back together and is situated closest to the target in my line of sighting equipment.

Enough BS.

300y=3.1
300M=3.2
400y=2.8
400M=2.9
500y=3.0
500M=3.0
600y=2.8
600M=2.8
700y=2.8
700M=2.7
800y=2.7
800M=2.7
900y=2.7
900M=2.7
And I used to use 2.5 @ 1000 but things were a bit on the blury side so I will be trying 2.7 there as well.

I must also add that my sight picture allows for minimum white space around the aiming mark and may not be suitable for many but my suggestion is that if you are getting a fuzzy picture one would normally go up a couple of sizes rather than down.

Woody_rod

#5 Postby Woody_rod » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:53 pm

Robert (littlebang556),

Good to see you are still alive and well!! Mate, that 3.1 at 300y must be a tight fit with a 0.5EE. Are you sure its not just the bull eye you are looking at???

ONe observation with my setup, is that initially I thought I had to move make an adjustment when putting in the eagle eye, due to some optical alignment thing. Lately, I dont think this is the case, as I can shoot at 500y sans EE, then shoot at 600y with EE and added elevation, with no windage or other aberrations.

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”