ED

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

a.JR

ED

#1 Postby a.JR » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:47 am

ED
Last edited by a.JR on Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynn Otto

#2 Postby Lynn Otto » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:16 am

Hi Jeff

I'm sure you will get plenty of assisstance on this question but so you know, Paul at the SARA shop also shoots F Class (and black powder etc) very versatile chap. He was instrumental in getting F Class off the ground in S Aust. and is the SARA CEO and obviously on the council so he should be able to help you with what is allowable. He's very knowledgable about the products and it would be worth giving him a call to discuss your needs.

F Class shooters in SA are gratefull for the mount of excellant equipment that Paul keeps in stock at good prices.

Lynn

bully_eye

#3 Postby bully_eye » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:01 am

......F Class shooters all over the country are happy for the great range of stock at the SARA shop!!!! :D

Michael

bjld

Re: Newby for F/standard questions!

#4 Postby bjld » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:43 pm

a.JR wrote:I am going to bite the bullet so to speak and build an F standard rifle..Are there any limitations to the stock design as i will make my own..Are all variants on the 308w reamer legal?..What bullets are winning ?..SARA shop have a good deal on the Krieger palma barrels,are these working well?..More questions later i guess..JR..Jeff Rogers..ps ..Are barrel tuners legal?

G'day Jeff

At the moment the only limitations that apply to stock design are those that apply to TR (the standard shooting rules can be found on this site). Hopefully the rules remain as they are (simple) and aren't changed to entertain the "wannabe tactical shooters".

The rifle must be chambered for 7.62N (308W). The rules do not go into specifics, but you would upset people if you used an improved cartridge. I couldn't see a problem with a tight neck/base chamber.

I really don't see a better alternative to Krieger barrels. If you're making your own stock you should be able to keep its weight down enough to permit use of the heavy palma profile.

Barrel tuners are legal.

By the way, have you considered building a 223? I began F-class with one and I miss it.

Regards
Ben

#5 Postby Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:43 pm

Ben wrote.

At the moment the only limitations that apply to stock design are those that apply to TR (the standard shooting rules can be found on this site). Hopefully the rules remain as they are (simple) and aren't changed to entertain the "wannabe tactical shooters".

Ben, i have no alternative to respond to this. Can I ask what on earth you are referring to by "wannabe tactical shooters"

A tactical rifle is primarily a military spec rifle, as such they are more accurate than a factory rifle and on par with a TR rifle. They have the same or similar stock designs as TR rifles and while some are a bit unorthodox in appearance so are many TR rifles.

Yet, they all remain a ‘conventional stock design’ ie. NON BENCHREST STYLE.

These Mill Spec rifles do have a solid following, not for any ‘wannabe’ status but because of the background, development and because some of these shooters are simply ex-service and prefer service style equipment.

I personally don’t like the term ‘Tactical’ as its politically incorrect. They are simply accurate semi custom rifles. In regard to the rules, we are the ones trying to keep them as simple as possible and keep the spirit of TR concepts.

Please don’t use the term ‘Wannabe’ again as you will upset too many and open a huge can of worms…. However, if that was your motive, you have already opened the door.

#6 Postby Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:40 pm

Barrel tuners are only legal in F Open not F Std

#7 Postby Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:20 pm

ed
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a.JR

e

#8 Postby a.JR » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:43 pm

Edited.JR
Last edited by a.JR on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Q

#9 Postby Tony Q » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:47 pm

Ah .. Matt, wrong again.

The rules are clear ... 'A stock of Conventional Design' what dont you understand about this???

A BR or Tracker Stock are not of conventional design. .... period!

A conventional design is something designed to be held and shot ... cant see you doing that with a tracker stock!!! can you?

:roll:
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

#10 Postby Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:07 pm

ed
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Q

#11 Postby Tony Q » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:24 pm

LOL Matt …. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure … to the BR shooter a BR stock would be ‘of conventional design’ to him or her.

However, we all know what the rule book means … now don’t we!

It means .. a rifle stock that is designed to be held and shot!

A conventional design to anyone in the street would be a sporting style stock … ok

So, no BR or Tracker stocks in FS. Conventional or radical it dont matter ... as long as they are designed to he held and shot.

8)

#12 Postby Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:03 pm

a.JR
Re barrel tuners,

This issue reared it's ugly head at Vic Queens last March. My understanding is that it was ruled on by NRAA rules man.vis
If the rules do not specifically allow for it , then it is not legal.

Refer Rule 11.2.3.2 on page 55 of current rule book. However if one applies this thinking then
Moly coating of projectiles is not legal
Meplat uniformers are not legal
Barrel mirage bands are not legal.

Barrel tuners have been around in FB circles for about 6 years- even advertised in our magazine, and articles written about them. It didn't seem to create a problem untill everyone was ready to start shooting at 300y in the Vic syme lead up shoot when suddenly they were banned!!!
However it would appear that you can use your foresight to tune your
barrel - and its legal to have a foresight and this works quite well.
Barry Davies

Tony Q

#13 Postby Tony Q » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:08 pm

of course they do Barry.

Its a little silly to allow something that can be used to tune a barell and not allow something that is there to tune the barell.

it is much slower trying to use a sight extention tube or front sight to tune but it does work.

Typical red tape thinking :lol:

AlanF

#14 Postby AlanF » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:27 pm

According to the article http://www.ozfclass.com/articles/1/psm_2005_03.html by Bill Calfee, barrel tuners work by moving some weight forward of the muzzle -the foresight assembly doesn't usually extend beyond the muzzle. How come it still works? :-k
Alan

#15 Postby Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:35 pm

Alan F

Maybe Bill Calfee never quite got it right??

Barry Davies

Return to “Equipment & Technical”