Seb PodPad

Here you have an audience of people with similar equipment needs. Chances are that someone will have what you need or vice versa.

Moderator: Mod

Message
Author
Gyro
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:44 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Seb PodPad

#16 Postby Gyro » Wed May 30, 2018 12:07 am

Fair call Jase.

All this comment that me or u or anyone puts up here often really needs a lot of writing to properly qualify the ideas/thoughts we are trying to get across. I could end up writing a book often just to be clear about the argument I'm putting forward.

I think it's important for shooters to understand just how bloody hard it us to get everything right with the whole shooting package to enable consistently good shooting. What's happening at the front rest is just another very important area and once again it's not easy to describe what's happening there with just a few words. I realise a Podpad can work.

It's such a fine line between shooting well and being nowhere !!! If it was easy everybody would be a top shooter.

The smallest of things can put u in or out and without enough experience and/or understanding most shooters will struggle to work out why the group is not right. Lord knows my shooting is often not right either, which in a wierd way is not a bad thing as it keeps me interested trying to work out why. For the past 7-8 years I've normally only worked two or three days a week and I have a friends farm on the edge of my small town just 5 minutes away I can shoot on whenever I want so I've had lots of time to try different ideas. I'm still trying !!

ShaneG
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:25 pm
Location: Cairns
Contact:

Re: Seb PodPad

#17 Postby ShaneG » Wed May 30, 2018 8:32 am

jasmay wrote:2 shooters, same rifle 4 details, 1 shooter is fairly new and only shot the rifle twice.

All details shot off a pod pad with no plate under it, this is just the latest result from this weekend.

Last weekend I smacked a 59.9 in at 600, same setup.

You are all well over thinking it.

I have tried plates, rubber mats, carpets, plates covered with carpet, silicon, timber... you name it I’ve had a crack. The pod pad is by far superior.

If you don’t believe me, believe Tim.


Any elevation winding within those groups Jason? Or light change?

jasmay
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: Seb PodPad

#18 Postby jasmay » Wed May 30, 2018 6:58 pm

ShaneG wrote:
jasmay wrote:2 shooters, same rifle 4 details, 1 shooter is fairly new and only shot the rifle twice.

All details shot off a pod pad with no plate under it, this is just the latest result from this weekend.

Last weekend I smacked a 59.9 in at 600, same setup.

You are all well over thinking it.

I have tried plates, rubber mats, carpets, plates covered with carpet, silicon, timber... you name it I’ve had a crack. The pod pad is by far superior.

If you don’t believe me, believe Tim.


Any elevation winding within those groups Jason? Or light change?


Shane, no scope adjustments for elevation within the sting after the first sighter.

Light changes might have been debatable given it was overcast, I'd say no though.

Plenty of win changes though :roll:

cheech
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Seb PodPad

#19 Postby cheech » Wed May 30, 2018 8:00 pm

Nothing wrong with Pod pad ours is the first original one , 3 years ago we started using it with a light weight Duplin bipod from the USA we took that combo to NZ with success in first Australian FTR team and individuals , same year my 17 yr old lad won a Queens over Mark Fairbairn when he was King so the pod pad mustn’t have hurt too much, we have since started using a carpet Rubbered mat and Joypod cause it suits team shooting keeping things uniform don’t think the results are much better!

mike H
Posts: 529
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: JUNEE NSW

Re: Seb PodPad

#20 Postby mike H » Wed May 30, 2018 8:57 pm

What I find interesting is that of three very top Australian FTR shooters commenting here,one is against,one is for and the other is for some of the time,with other options depending on the mound surface.I am working on it,used carpet on top of a rubber belting mat,on top of a thick wooden board at the weekend and even had the pod bag under the lot a couple of times where the mound was sunk at the front.The mound surface was fine cracked gravel.I have my front rest high as my joints don’t like getting down too low. Results were better than I have been getting.Today off a bench,my brother was watching and could see rocking when the joypad was moved forward or back,something I had not looked for,or noticed before,I pushed forward for the last shots and seemed good,next time I will try pulling back.For me this has been a helpfull exchange of ideas.

Gyro
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:44 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Seb PodPad

#21 Postby Gyro » Thu May 31, 2018 4:09 am

mike H wrote:What I find interesting is that of three very top Australian FTR shooters commenting here,one is against,one is for and the other is for some of the time,with other options depending on the mound surface.I am working on it,used carpet on top of a rubber belting mat,on top of a thick wooden board at the weekend and even had the pod bag under the lot a couple of times where the mound was sunk at the front.The mound surface was fine cracked gravel.I have my front rest high as my joints don’t like getting down too low. Results were better than I have been getting.Today off a bench,my brother was watching and could see rocking when the joypad was moved forward or back,something I had not looked for,or noticed before,I pushed forward for the last shots and seemed good,next time I will try pulling back.For me this has been a helpfull exchange of ideas.


The rocking u talk of Mike is well spotted. Realise too that any bipod is just a mass or semi mass produced item and VERY likely needs some 'blueprinting' . It is well known that bipod tweaks are undertaken by shooters to make then perform better or at least better for u and your peace of mind and peace of mind is very important.

The dynamics are different too re whether u r free recoiling or holding the gun or any of the many variations in between.

U mention pushing the gun forwards vs maybe trying pulling it back. From a gun handling theory perspective the pushing forward option should win hands down just purely because u r involving fewer 'muscle tensions'. As soon as u pull back u involve a bunch of hand grip tensions that will likely create more grief for u !

'Tis not easy mate.

ShaneG
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:25 pm
Location: Cairns
Contact:

Re: Seb PodPad

#22 Postby ShaneG » Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 am

mike H wrote:What I find interesting is that of three very top Australian FTR shooters commenting here,one is against,one is for and the other is for some of the time,with other options depending on the mound surface.I am working on it,used carpet on top of a rubber belting mat,on top of a thick wooden board at the weekend and even had the pod bag under the lot a couple of times where the mound was sunk at the front.The mound surface was fine cracked gravel.I have my front rest high as my joints don’t like getting down too low. Results were better than I have been getting.Today off a bench,my brother was watching and could see rocking when the joypad was moved forward or back,something I had not looked for,or noticed before,I pushed forward for the last shots and seemed good,next time I will try pulling back.For me this has been a helpfull exchange of ideas.


Foot angle is an issue as well Mike and unfortunately changes mound to mound and range to range - I think that causes the "rocking" more than anything.
Like Jason I have experimented with most combinations - certainly for Belmont I have left a heavy steel plate with friends in Brisbane.
I have been using the Pod Pad last couple of years though.
I think the critical issue is fill just like rear bags? I am still experimenting with sand density and fill.
Don't think I have the perfect one yet but close?
A few weeks ago at my local range I forgot the pad and had to revert to one of my old plates!
Boy, did I not like going back!! The rifle seemed to jump all over the place and needed resetting every shot!

Each to his / her own though - Vicki dislikes the pad and prefers plates with carpet!

Quick
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: Yanchep, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Seb PodPad

#23 Postby Quick » Thu May 31, 2018 12:17 pm

Shane, what sort of sand are you using to fill to podpad with? Ive just used sand from my local SSAA range. Seems to work well. Would garnet work well do you think?
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

ShaneG
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:25 pm
Location: Cairns
Contact:

Re: Seb PodPad

#24 Postby ShaneG » Thu May 31, 2018 3:05 pm

Quick wrote:Shane, what sort of sand are you using to fill to podpad with? Ive just used sand from my local SSAA range. Seems to work well. Would garnet work well do you think?


Shaun
Currently using sand blasting grit - the black stuff in a 10kg bucket.
Very dense and heavy so the pad is quite stable regardless of mound irregularities.
I have not perfected the degree of fill yet?

AS previous I use it everywhere except Belmont.

Quick
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: Yanchep, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Seb PodPad

#25 Postby Quick » Thu May 31, 2018 3:28 pm

Ok cheers. I may have a play with that stuff before I come to belmont at the end of the month.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

ShaneG
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:25 pm
Location: Cairns
Contact:

Re: Seb PodPad

#26 Postby ShaneG » Thu May 31, 2018 3:41 pm

Beg, borrow or steal a heavy steel plate for Belmont!
Depending on what target you draw the bounce can be incredible!
If you are on a target regularly used for weekend comps then the grass will be short.
Otherwise it can feel like an old innerspring mattress!

Quick
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: Yanchep, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Seb PodPad

#27 Postby Quick » Thu May 31, 2018 3:53 pm

Ok mate. Will do. Cheers.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.


Return to “For Sale/Wanted to Buy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RobH and 2 guests