Want to buy FTR bipod/info

Here you have an audience of people with similar equipment needs. Chances are that someone will have what you need or vice versa.

Moderator: Mod

Kieren

Want to buy FTR bipod/info

#1 Postby Kieren » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:53 pm

Looking at what options are out there and what people think of different bipods pros and cons to all. Looking to purchase in a month or so second hand or new looking at joypod and the carbon Aussie built Dolphin AB Bipod.

cheech

Re: Want to buy FTR bipod/info

#2 Postby cheech » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:41 am

Bipod selection depends on a few factors ,

Joypod - light weight , excellent for coached team shooting , probably most expensive

Aus pod - also light weight , decent price , easy reach controls

Duplin - light weight , longer reach height control but ok

I’ve owned all of them

Anything light weight of course means the rifle / barrel / optics can be heavier

There are others that function perfectly but weigh considerably more affecting the Overall desired build specs

Kieren

#3 Postby Kieren » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:53 am

So I have quiet a large scope so I’d be more inclined for the light weight options what of all those would you say is the best to use in your opinion.

PeteFox

#4 Postby PeteFox » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:54 am

Kieran
I have had aJoypod, I thought it was the worst equipment choice I have made. I sold it after a couple of shoots.

I have a Dolphin Carbon fibre bipod. The first one was replaced under warranty as the carbon fibre legs came loose in their aluminium sockets. The replacement has been perfect. A nice wide stance and easy to adjust on the mound

I also have a Tier One FTR bipod which is easy to adjust but with a narrower stance than the dolphin and a bit heavier.

At one time I had a Davies. Rock solid but just too heavy for FTR

Dolphin is my pick
Pete

Gyro

#5 Postby Gyro » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:29 pm

Harsh words Pete. I have just spoken kind words to my Joypod in case it read what u have written ! Mine goes real good !!!

Kieren

#6 Postby Kieren » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:54 pm

Sounds like I might have to try a few it’s sounds like a personal preference

Tim L

#7 Postby Tim L » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:01 pm

I've used an MPod (lightest bipod I'm aware of) the Ozpod and Joypod.
The MPod is as solid as any but it's fixed once set so it's a pain to set up and you need the rear bag on a ramp to give a bit of elevation adjustment and spongy front mat for the same. You need to shoot it pretty much like a target rifle, I would line up at 12 oclock on the 6 ring then pull down onto the front mat to the centre. It did give good results, great elivation, but there was no machine gunning.
The Ozpod is a great bit of gear, well designed and well made. It has a quirk though in that the last adjustment made must be up.
The joypod, however, is still my first preference, with the new feet. It's no better than the Ozpod, I just prefer it. It does have an advantage on ranges where target numbers are a long way above or below the target. It's just a quick up and down to avoid that 6 point loss!!!
I run both Oz and Joy on a slippy surface (cordura) and free recoil both.
I'd like to try the Dolpin because I feel there is a definate advantage of dropping the rifle so the barrel is at the apex of the legs. The Mpod is like that and really was solid as a rock.

wsftr

#8 Postby wsftr » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:40 pm

the oz pod is a great balance between a joypod and duplin style.
If you buy into a long stock the duplin with a mariner wheel can take you out of position to adjust...but if you put a lot of work into your setup you will find you don't need to adjust much.
There are some improvements I would like to see to the OZ pod (no bipod is perfect) but I haven't spoken to Chris about them yet.
Basically pay good money and you get a good bipod...borrow and use before buying...yes it is very much personal pref.

Daveh

#9 Postby Daveh » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi, I am far from an expert as I have never shot a "proper" Fclass match. We have resurrected our local club and shoot what we call bush class! Only one member with a F-Open gun. I have recently ordered a setup for F-Tr and just bought a bipod from Barry on this forum. He makes them and had them advertised a few weeks back.

It turned up in the freight today and it is a great bipod in my opinion. Well made and strong! Look him up he may still have some.
Now just waiting for the rifle to mount it on.

Regards
DaveH

Pommy Chris

#10 Postby Pommy Chris » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:44 am

Kieren wrote:Looking at what options are out there and what people think of different bipods pros and cons to all. Looking to purchase in a month or so second hand or new looking at joypod and the carbon Aussie built Dolphin AB Bipod.

If you want an Auspod contact me at Auspodinfo@gmail.com
The design of the Auspod was to make a bipod super rigid as far too many bipods have lots of play. I started with a Joypod great design but when it is up high there is far too much play. Drawing back and pushing forward the crosshairs move wildly across the target, down lot it is a little better but it still does it so you must do exactly the same thing every time or you will get fliers. I tried to design a coaxial system with no play and light but it was not possible so I decided stiff was far more important. On the Auspod moving even a heavy rifle back and forward the crosshairs stay on the centre of the target due to no slop in the Auspod so if you draw back and take a shot, then next shot you push forward it wont make any difference.
Regards
Chris

jasmay

#11 Postby jasmay » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:28 am

Pommy Chris wrote:The design of the Auspod was to make a bipod super rigid as far too many bipods have lots of play. I started with a Joypod great design but when it is up high there is far too much play. Drawing back and pushing forward the crosshairs move wildly across the target, down lot it is a little better but it still does it so you must do exactly the same thing every time or you will get fliers.

The newly designed feet (pivoting skis) solve this issue in a major way, the original feet were thin fixed skis, the néw feet now pivot and align with the ground. The old feet did work well, plenty of queens no.1’s with shooters using them, but they were a little finicky, SEB’s néw design is amazing.

All new joypods come with these.

These have now not only been cleared by the NRAA, but also ICFRA.

The feet are available as an upgrade for anyone wanting to retro fit them to older joypods.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pommy Chris

#12 Postby Pommy Chris » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:25 pm

jasmay wrote:
Pommy Chris wrote:The design of the Auspod was to make a bipod super rigid as far too many bipods have lots of play. I started with a Joypod great design but when it is up high there is far too much play. Drawing back and pushing forward the crosshairs move wildly across the target, down lot it is a little better but it still does it so you must do exactly the same thing every time or you will get fliers.

The newly designed feet (pivoting skis) solve this issue in a major way, the original feet were thin fixed skis, the néw feet now pivot and align with the ground. The old feet did work well, plenty of queens no.1’s with shooters using them, but they were a little finicky, SEB’s néw design is amazing.

The feet are available as an upgrade for anyone wanting to retro fit them to older joypods.

The flex I am talking about is in the hips and coaxial bearing and general structure due to the shape, the feet wont fix that.
Chris

Keels

#13 Postby Keels » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:39 pm

jasmay wrote:

How much are they Jason ?

jasmay

#14 Postby jasmay » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:45 pm

[quote="Keels"
How much are they Jason ?[/quote]

$130 plus shipping.

Email sebaustralia@hotmail.com to place order.

They have been really popular, currently sold out, but expecting more end of this week or early next.

Gyro

#15 Postby Gyro » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:18 am

Just some "mechanical advice" re the Joypod. Mine is about 8 years old and on the forward side of the coax head unit are a couple of grub screws. These are to adjust the tension in the coax sliding unit and it is vital these are set correctly. I have removed the short grub screws and fitted longer ones that have allowed fitting nuts so they can be more reliably tightened down, with more piece of mind they won't move after the adjustments have been made. Perhaps they don't move anyway but extra piece of mind is gold in the competition environment.

The head unit has some cant 'backlash' which I have removed with some more trickery. ANY design that allows movement will have some play/clearance. That's a mechanical fact of life.

I can see the new feet being fitted now will help but the old feet went well anyway if you ask me.

The BOTTOM LINE with ANY of our shooting gear is it needs to be set up right, which is a lot about having the mechanical nouse to make sure it's all ok. So many shooters do NOT come from a mechanical background and are often plagued with dumb simple stuff with thier gear ! Harsh words but I see it all the time across all disciplines.

Return to “For Sale/Wanted to Buy”