WTB good quality scales

Here you have an audience of people with similar equipment needs. Chances are that someone will have what you need or vice versa.

Moderator: Mod

Grahams

WTB good quality scales

#1 Postby Grahams » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:42 pm

Looking to buy a good electronic balance scale, this week. Thanks ATO. Ohaus scout SPX123, A&D FX-i, A&D EJ123 or similar. Please send pics and price. Thanks Graham

Wingnut

Re: WTB good quality scales

#2 Postby Wingnut » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:00 pm

What’s your budget and what are you looking for? I picked up a Ohaus pioneer scientific scale from Wiltronics for about $1500. The pioneer PX84 is Accurate to .1mg and uses a magnetic force restoration sensor as opposed to the load cells used in the cheaper A&D and others.

Having said this, is it really necessary? No, but I wanted to weigh to the kernel.

Keels

#3 Postby Keels » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:32 am

Can’t beat the scout

Grahams

#4 Postby Grahams » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:19 am

Is it really needed ? My Hornady powder dispenser keeps throwing me a flyer. So it's 0.1gn graduations just are good enough. The Ohaus Scout is good for 0.02gn graduations so was looking at going down that path.

It does throw a consistent load when it feels like it. Even after a 1/2 hour warm up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:39 am

Graham,

If you are basing your assessment of the scales on 3 shot groups with velocities then you may be doing them an injustice. To assess the accuracy of your dispenser, you need access to an accurate set of scales to accurately weigh a number of the powder charges it dispenses. Looking at your data I wouldn't be surprised if the dispenser is working well. There are multiple causes of velocity spread and group size. And 3 shot groups tell you very little about anything. BTW there are many target shooters who would be satisfied with a 7fps SD. So if I was you I'd take your dispenser to someone who has a good set of scales and a check weight, prove his scales with the check weight, then weigh a good number of your Hornady's output charges on his scales. If you get a spread of around 0.1gn you can be very satisfied that the Hornady is working well.

Grahams

#6 Postby Grahams » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:25 am

Call it ocd but a 0.02gn accuracy sounds like a couple of extra bulls when it counts.

PeteFox

#7 Postby PeteFox » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:41 am

Buy one of the A&D FX-i Series scales, because at a later date you can add the AutoTrickler gear from Adam MacDonald if you want to automate things.
https://www.autotrickler.com
Pete

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:18 am

Grahams wrote:Call it ocd but a 0.02gn accuracy sounds like a couple of extra bulls when it counts.

Powder charge variation is one of many errors you aim to minimise for extreme accuracy, and its never a bad thing to do that. Just don't expect it to fix the 101 other things that affect accuracy :D .

Pseudoplastic

#9 Postby Pseudoplastic » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:53 pm

I got a 10 powder throw SD of 0.005g = 0.077 gn with the Hornady LNL Powder Dispenser. With the RCBS Lite I got an SD of 0.002 g = 0.025 gn using ADI 2208.

RAVEN

#10 Postby RAVEN » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:48 pm

PM Sent

Tim L

#11 Postby Tim L » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:19 am

To answer the question first I'd second Pete Fox with the recommendation of the ADI fxi for the same reason.
To add to the discussion I'm with Alan. Having confidence in accurate loads eliminates 1 (just 1) of the many causes of flyers. It's not about being accurate over 3 shots, more like 300 and having the each and every load comfortably inside the node for varying atmospheric conditions. Selecting a tight node is never desirable but even with a node that covers 0.5gn, a chilly morning that quickly rises to 30+ degrees can put that load at one edge or the other. Having a round that sits 0.1gn light or heavy might just be the 1 that pops a 5 at 6 o'clock and costs the range or even the comp.
It could equally be caused by a lose or tight neck, seating error, mirage shift, wind direction, or a plethora of shooter errors. Knowing it's NOT a charge weight error helps diagnose the cause.
I know that I personally do not spend hours on brass prep in an effort to get each and every case as similar to one another as I can just to dump roughly 46.4gns of powder in. Likewise, I didn't spend $000s on a set of scales to ignore what they tell me. Each case gets 46.4gns exactly, not 46.38 or 46.42.

Return to “For Sale/Wanted to Buy”