New F Open Rifle

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Frank Green

Re: New F Open Rifle

#31 Postby Frank Green » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Craig McGowan wrote:Hi Frank.

Are you using the new Silver Mountain SOLO? The ones with 8 Sensors? Just curious. Those big pills sure do have some energy down range. They are about going about 200 FPS faster at the target than the 7's I shoot.

How was the recoil to manage?

Hey Craig! No not the single user set up. The whole range at Lodi, WI is outfitted with the Silver Mountain target system.

Recoil? I consider it a heavy push. No sharpness at all. Compared to my .284 which weighs 20# and this being another 1.7# heavier. The .30 is a tad more but not uncontrollable/manageable at all in my opinion. I didn’t feel beat up after the range time. Shot 40 rounds thru it. I’ve shot 20 off the bench in one sitting and again I didn’t feel beat up.

Frank Green

#32 Postby Frank Green » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:22 pm

RDavies wrote:
macguru wrote:So what cartridge are you using for .30 cal ? or are you developing a wildcat of your own ?

I would guess a 300PRC which is about to be brought out as a proprietary cartridge very soon. Pretty much a 375 Ruger necked down. I think a good sized cartridge, not as overbore as the 300 Nosler or 300 RUM.

That is what I hear. Yes way more efficient then the .300 Nosler or the RUM or even the Norma. I will also say more efficient then the .300wm. When the WM is max’d out even with a long throat etc...the PRC with a half a grain less powder is giving about 60-75fps more velocity. Dave at the shop had his .300wm out as well and I confirmed that.

GSells

#33 Postby GSells » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:00 pm

RDavies wrote:
macguru wrote:So what cartridge are you using for .30 cal ? or are you developing a wildcat of your own ?

I would guess a 300PRC which is a 375 Ruger necked down. Something I would like to do for 1000yd BR.

Sorry , I haven't read all of the thread . But what about 300 rum , 50 bmg powder? Would it be in the same league?

Edit : Sorry , yes I've read the thread and it had been mentioned. I do own a 300 rum , but haven't done anything with it . I have lots of bmg 50 or 2218 .
It will be interesting what's going to be used in S.A. 2021.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”