New F Open Rifle

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Frank Green

Re: New F Open Rifle

#31 Postby Frank Green » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Craig McGowan wrote:Hi Frank.

Are you using the new Silver Mountain SOLO? The ones with 8 Sensors? Just curious. Those big pills sure do have some energy down range. They are about going about 200 FPS faster at the target than the 7's I shoot.

How was the recoil to manage?

Hey Craig! No not the single user set up. The whole range at Lodi, WI is outfitted with the Silver Mountain target system.

Recoil? I consider it a heavy push. No sharpness at all. Compared to my .284 which weighs 20# and this being another 1.7# heavier. The .30 is a tad more but not uncontrollable/manageable at all in my opinion. I didn’t feel beat up after the range time. Shot 40 rounds thru it. I’ve shot 20 off the bench in one sitting and again I didn’t feel beat up.

Frank Green

#32 Postby Frank Green » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:22 pm

RDavies wrote:
macguru wrote:So what cartridge are you using for .30 cal ? or are you developing a wildcat of your own ?

I would guess a 300PRC which is about to be brought out as a proprietary cartridge very soon. Pretty much a 375 Ruger necked down. I think a good sized cartridge, not as overbore as the 300 Nosler or 300 RUM.

That is what I hear. Yes way more efficient then the .300 Nosler or the RUM or even the Norma. I will also say more efficient then the .300wm. When the WM is max’d out even with a long throat etc...the PRC with a half a grain less powder is giving about 60-75fps more velocity. Dave at the shop had his .300wm out as well and I confirmed that.

GSells

#33 Postby GSells » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:00 pm

RDavies wrote:
macguru wrote:So what cartridge are you using for .30 cal ? or are you developing a wildcat of your own ?

I would guess a 300PRC which is a 375 Ruger necked down. Something I would like to do for 1000yd BR.

Sorry , I haven't read all of the thread . But what about 300 rum , 50 bmg powder? Would it be in the same league?

Edit : Sorry , yes I've read the thread and it had been mentioned. I do own a 300 rum , but haven't done anything with it . I have lots of bmg 50 or 2218 .
It will be interesting what's going to be used in S.A. 2021.

TGTshooter

#34 Postby TGTshooter » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:47 am

Hi Frank. I'm considering purchasing a Manners F-Class stock for my own build and I'm interested to hear what you think of yours now you've had it for a while.

Frank Green

#35 Postby Frank Green » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:39 am

TGTshooter wrote:Hi Frank. I'm considering purchasing a Manners F-Class stock for my own build and I'm interested to hear what you think of yours now you've had it for a while.

I am still very happy with it. If you order one just make sure you tell them you want an adjustable butt plate assy and give them the max and min. length of pull you want. I forgot to do that with mine....and on the shortest setting the length was border line to long for me. Had to send it back and have them shorten the stock up for me.

Later, Frank

PS sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on any forums per say very much at times unless someone sends me a PM etc...with this riot garbage, pandemic stuff, elections etc....everything is in a up roar! Think I should move to Australia but then I might go into a gun depravation/disorder of some sort with possibly not being able to take my stuff with me!

Rich4

#36 Postby Rich4 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:50 am

:lol: That’s ironic considering I’ve sometimes said I should move to the US for more freedom! Hope all is well for you amongst it all :D

Frank Green

#37 Postby Frank Green » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:19 am

Rich4, yea I don't know what to say!?

I feel the main problem is....people are being let to get away with things and not being held accountable. They are also being promised free things from the gov't or candidates running for office.

Things are never free per say. Some where someone is paying for it.

TGTshooter

#38 Postby TGTshooter » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:45 am

Thanks for the update Frank. I appreciate your advice.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”