Area 419 Auto-Trickler Base

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

michaeljp

Re: Area 419 Auto-Trickler Base

#16 Postby michaeljp » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:19 pm

i wish they would male a billet copy of the Lee measurer. The plastic measurer is crap. Im sick of adjusting it when it jams. But the trickler billet base and the billet scoop are worth the money

UL1700

#17 Postby UL1700 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:41 pm

michaeljp wrote:i wish they would male a billet copy of the Lee measurer. The plastic measurer is crap. Im sick of adjusting it when it jams. But the trickler billet base and the billet scoop are worth the money

I know crap isn't it, a bilit version or a conversion kit to use a decent thrower would be fantastic!

Trevor Rhodes

#18 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:10 am

Adams trickler walks so l have to keep an eye on it or it miss the pan. Have a Area on order.

Trevor Rhodes

#19 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Got my Adam McDonald trickler and thrower a couple of months ago and very happy with it then, l got the Erea 419 trickler base, thrower housing, powder cup and glass hopper. Made most of my McDonald setup redundant bar motors and wiring. But a good setup anyway worth the money.

UL1700

#20 Postby UL1700 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:04 pm

Trevor Rhodes wrote:Got my Adam McDonald trickler and thrower a couple of months ago and very happy with it then, l got the Erea 419 trickler base, thrower housing, powder cup and glass hopper. Made most of my McDonald setup redundant bar motors and wiring. But a good setup anyway worth the money.

Have you reinforced the top of your scales yet? That glass hopper is bloody heavy! I have done the drawings for an aluminium upgrade but I have yet to have it priced by a workshop.

Tim L

#21 Postby Tim L » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:10 pm

I read this thread with interest as I've just ordered an A&D with the auto trickler to come.
The reason for the post is to make an observation on the pictures posted. It seems there is a precision scale sitting on a piece 3/4" vynal covered chipboard which is jammed against a wood panal wall and right next to more sources of emf interference than a communications tower emmits.
OK that last one might be a bit of an exaggeration, but all in all it leads me to question the expectation of accuracy?

UL1700

#22 Postby UL1700 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:48 am

When I load for an hour and I re-weigh my 1st load and it is still to the nearest .001 gram (don't use grains as you loose resolution) then that's good enough for me. If I had issues with drift then I would reevaluate location and if I felt the need for better accuracy then I wouldn't be using A&D scales!

Tim L

#23 Postby Tim L » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:22 am

Fair call. I was just questioning the requirement for the "upgrades". From what you say you already had bloody awesome consistancy and accuracy, which is great news. I didn't want to invest this sort of money on top notch gear to find I actually need to plough in more to get the top notch results.
Thanks for the tip on grams and grains, I'll remember that when I get going.

UL1700

#24 Postby UL1700 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:57 pm

The the upgrades above the scales are purely asthetic, it does make the motor a fraction quieter but nothing else. The base for the tricker serves two purposes, it stops the whole unit walking arround the bench and it allows you to fine tune the trickle rate. The instructions with the Adams base talk about shiming it to get the levels right but this removes that. I must confess that some of the stuff I have read about the lengths people go to to remove fluctuations in power level and sources of EMF did get me a little worried but touch wood I haven't had a problem. It is paleced where it as it's a draft free spot (a much bigger problem). Adams instuctions say to remove two of the wind sheilds I think this is the 1st thing to resolve. I only have the front one removed and still walking past it throws the read out arround. Anyway still the best reloading purchase I have made and hopfully somone will make an upgrade to use a reasonable powder throwere one day (It wouldn't be hard)

Trevor Rhodes

#25 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:07 pm

I have always reloaded in my shed with 4 doors (plenty of gaps for drafts) But my table is in a corner. l only have 1 window removed the right hand one for the trickler and pan excess. Never get fluctuation and the only problem experienced is over shooting the load preset by .6 of a gn occasionally about 20 throws, the rest of the time it is on or one kernel out. The accuracy of the system is not the thrower or trickler but the scales it self being not leveled or calibrated. Once setup it's quick and idiot proof.

Tim L

#26 Postby Tim L » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:00 pm

Trevor Rhodes wrote: idiot proof.

Awesome ! :D :D :D :D

Return to “Equipment & Technical”