Reloading Equipment

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

lonerider43

Re: Reloading Equipment

#16 Postby lonerider43 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:19 pm

fair enough dood...

sean
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

Barossa_222

#17 Postby Barossa_222 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:00 am

Bigtravoz wrote:http://www.midway-australia.com.au/lee-breech-lock-hand-press-kit/

Inexpensive, accurate, can be used anywhere (including on the couch or on the road or at the range) and I doubt you’ll ever buy a more expensive setup once you have this! Add a scale, powder, primers, set of dies for your caliber and you will have hours of fun!

Plenty good for hunting stuff I agree. Very hard to full length size cases with. How concentric/straight is your loaded ammo?

UL1700

#18 Postby UL1700 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:20 am

It's all about concentricity, for similar money you can have a basic arber press and a pair of wilson dies and chern out some of the most mechanically acutare rounds money can make. Maybe not on the couch but definatly on the kitchen table. Depending on calibre, qualtiy of action and chamber you may never need to full length resize (certainly the case for my Barnard 6br) I have a couple of Lee peices unfortunalty the Adams auto trickler used a Lee powder thrower and i have their "universal" decaping die which only fits large primers with a large flash hole. I dont like either.

Bigtravoz

#19 Postby Bigtravoz » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:20 pm

Barossa_222 wrote:
Bigtravoz wrote:http://www.midway-australia.com.au/lee-breech-lock-hand-press-kit/

Inexpensive, accurate, can be used anywhere (including on the couch or on the road or at the range) and I doubt you’ll ever buy a more expensive setup once you have this! Add a scale, powder, primers, set of dies for your caliber and you will have hours of fun!

Plenty good for hunting stuff I agree. Very hard to full length size cases with. How concentric/straight is your loaded ammo?

I load all my f class using it, concentricity has more to do with your dies than the press. My 243 will put 10 shots in the same hole at 200 yards loaded on it. Don’t see how you think it’s hard to full length size on it! I full length size with it all the time. Just because it’s not mounted to a bench doesn’t mean it doesn’t do what is needed! It actually has more leverage than a lot of bench mounted models, it’s compact and easy to use and transport. Can you take a Dillon progressive to the range with you to try different loads?

Bigtravoz

#20 Postby Bigtravoz » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:24 pm

UL1700 wrote:It's all about concentricity, for similar money you can have a basic arber press and a pair of wilson dies and chern out some of the most mechanically acutare rounds money can make. Maybe not on the couch but definatly on the kitchen table. Depending on calibre, qualtiy of action and chamber you may never need to full length resize (certainly the case for my Barnard 6br) I have a couple of Lee peices unfortunalty the Adams auto trickler used a Lee powder thrower and i have their "universal" decaping die which only fits large primers with a large flash hole. I dont like either.

You go on about concentricity but rely on a powder thrower to give accurate results?

Barossa_222

#21 Postby Barossa_222 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:12 pm

Hey if it works for you, all the best. You are getting fantastic results using it.

Singo85

#22 Postby Singo85 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Bigtravoz wrote:
UL1700 wrote:It's all about concentricity, for similar money you can have a basic arber press and a pair of wilson dies and chern out some of the most mechanically acutare rounds money can make. Maybe not on the couch but definatly on the kitchen table. Depending on calibre, qualtiy of action and chamber you may never need to full length resize (certainly the case for my Barnard 6br) I have a couple of Lee peices unfortunalty the Adams auto trickler used a Lee powder thrower and i have their "universal" decaping die which only fits large primers with a large flash hole. I dont like either.

You go on about concentricity but rely on a powder thrower to give accurate results?

I think you will find that the Powder Thrower is attached to a $1500plus set of electromagnetic force restoration scales which weight to a hundredth of a grain...........

Check out the link here https://www.autotrickler.com/auto-trickler.html
Cheers
Michael Singleton

UL1700

#23 Postby UL1700 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Singo85 wrote:
Bigtravoz wrote:

I think you will find that the Powder Thrower is attached to a $1500plus set of electromagnetic force restoration scales which weight to a hundredth of a grain...........

Check out the link here https://www.autotrickler.com/auto-trickler.html

It certainly is, I reload for my self and my wife so 72 rnds per week minimum. When not competing, my time to weigh a powder charge and fill a case has gone from 1 minuet to about 10 seconds an I'm accurate to a +/- 1 kernal of 2208 from +/-4 or worse.

basil

#24 Postby basil » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:32 pm

Nothing wrong with the Lee Universal Decapping die. Mandrels are available from Lee, or easily modified to suit smaller flash holes.

Tim L

#25 Postby Tim L » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:34 am

I always have the Lee hand press with me when i travel. It's all i use over at the Bergers.
Concentricity is a non issue if you use a Lee collet die. If you want specific neck tension just buy/make under/oversize mandrels.
The RCBS seating die doesn't rely on the press for seating length, its inbuilt, so no accracy issues there either.
FL sizing is possible although not much fun on 308 but for necksizing and seating she does a fine job.
All that said, I have A Lee cast press in the loading room which has a 1" ram and does its job flawlessly.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”