What Precision or Tactical Rifle setup do you use

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Singo85

What Precision or Tactical Rifle setup do you use

#1 Postby Singo85 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:45 pm

No bullshit or talk about PRS Competition or what the NRAA should do, enough talk in other threads.

Just seeking advice on what you PRS shooters are using for setups, looking at gathering parts to commence a project.

Suggest starting with:
Caliber / Case
Action
Barrel
Muzzle Brake
Stock
Scope
Anything else........
Cheers
Michael Singleton

bully_eye

Re: What Precision or Tactical Rifle setup do you use

#2 Postby bully_eye » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Singo85 wrote:No bullshit or talk about PRS Competition or what the NRAA should do, enough talk in other threads.

Just seeking advice on what you PRS shooters are using for setups, looking at gathering parts to commence a project.

Suggest starting with:
Caliber / Case
Action
Barrel
Muzzle Brake
Stock AI
Scope
Anything else........

Caliber / Case -308 for NATO using Lapua, 6 XC Open using Norma
Action AI AW
Barrel- 308 AI factory, 6XC Bartlein
Muzzle Brake- 308 AI Factory Single Chamber, 6XC Badger FTE (I chose this brake as it bears a striking resemblance to an AI double chamber brake)
Stock- AI
Scope- March FX 5-40
Anything else.......
Bipod- Atlas
Tripod- Manfotto 055
Rifle Rest for Tripod- KZ PRP (thinking of getting a HOG Saddle and Manfrotto or Sunfoto ball head
Magazines- AI Double Stack
Rear Bag- Triad Tactical bean bag
Sling- Tactical Intervention Quick Cuff. In Precision Service Rifle matches we do shoot matches prone unsupported (slings are allowed). I like the Quick Cuff because it is essentially a single point sling which I liked when I shot TR

*NB* I think AI rifles and chassis systems are very well suited to these types of comps for obvious reasons. I shoot an AI because I have one. If I was building a rifle, an AICS stock would be high on my list of appropriate stocks- not to say there aren't other great choices.

Michael

GSells

#3 Postby GSells » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi Mick , for what is worth . Rem 700 action ( of corse!) , Lilja Barrel , old school .308 1:12 .
Manners thumb hole stock , ai 5 shot mags . NF nxs 22x in mills . :wink:

Valk

#4 Postby Valk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Caliber / Case - 308 for NATO class and 6.5x47 for open
Action: Savage
Barrel: bartlein
Muzzle Brake: Precision Armament M4-72 copy
Stock: KRG and MPA on the way
Scope: Sightron S3 FFP and Kahles K624i FFP (Both Mils reticles and dials)

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B4833CE

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B42C8BB

From the top to the closest.
Defiance action with Bartlein barrel in AI chassis 6.5x47 NF atacr scope
Savage action with Bartlein barrel in KRG 6.5x47 Kahles K624i scope
Remington clone action with Madcco barrel in MPA chassis 6x47 Vortex Razor G2
Remington action with Remington factory barrel in AI chassis 308W Vortex viper PST G2

We can speak further next time I am at the hornsby range. You can see it person and play with it.

Tiger

#5 Postby Tiger » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 pm

Best to decide whether you want to shoot NATO or Open, there are going to be restrictions on equipment for NATO ie no single point slings, 1kg trigger weight etc, with Open it is literally that.

Cheers.

Dave Groves

jasmay

#6 Postby jasmay » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:22 am

I'm Build a rig at the moment for open.

6.5SLR
Bartlein 1:8
Barnard SM
Bix N Andy trigger
Will sit in a Austec Arms chasis (Australian Made)
Will be topped with a Nightforce.

Going to run without a break initially to see how I go as I'm used to running heavy recoiling rigs, any doubt and I will fit a break.

willow

#7 Postby willow » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:00 pm

Matt is putting two rifles together for me, both will do the job for PRS, one moreso than the other. Minimal use for both this year though since I'm stuck in Perth.

Calibre/Case: 6mm - 6XC Norma brass but will try Peterson brass when it becomes available
Action: Kelbly Atlas tactical/Tikka T3
Trigger: Timney CE on the Kelbly/Factory with Yo Dave spring on the Tikka
Barrel: Mullerworks 1:7.75 Marksman profile/Mullerworks 1:7.75 medium palma - both finished at 26"
Muzzle brake: Haven't ordered one yet, might get a Heathen brake or see if Matt can make one up
Stock: MPA Competition chassis (left hand)/Konohawk K2T adjustable, left hand
Scope: A Vortex Razor AMG will sit on the Tikka/Konohawk. Still saving for the MPA setup but I like the look of the new ZCO scopes, or a new Kahles K625.
Bipod: Yet to buy but probably Atlas
Tripod: Yet to buy
Sling: Bungee Sling developed by Rifles Only

SunnyCoast 5r

#8 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:45 pm

I am going the easy option: I have ordered a Lithgow LA105 in 6.5Creedmore. Have MDT rings with the inbuilt spirit level and will fit either a NF NXS 8-32 or Comp scope. Ready to go!

Kakaduthunder

#9 Postby Kakaduthunder » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Deviance deviant tactical action
260 Remington with a custom chamber
Hawk hill custom barrel marksman contour finished at 26 inches
Trentech taipan muzzle brake
Master piece arms chassis
Nightforce atacr 5 -25 from mil C recticle
I run aw mags and a Harris bipod. I have tried others but i like the Harris
Gamechnager bag plus othe weibad and lowviz gear bags
Tab gear prs sling

Kakaduthunder

#10 Postby Kakaduthunder » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:02 pm

If you shoot past 500meters a 6.5mm caliber is the way to go. If you are going to only shoot out to 500meters a 308 doesn’t give anything away balistically and has better barrel life and cheaper reloading components.

260 rem, 6.5 cm and 6.5 x 47lapua are very popular and very competitive choices.

6mm shoot very flat with low recoil but barrel life is low. You shoot a lot of rounds in competition and practice so barrel life is a factor. It is a real pain to do a barrel swap halfway through the season. Wildcats should probably be avoided as putting a lot of work into brass can be painful as you should expect to lose some at a lot of the matches. If you can’t resist a wildcat make sure it is known to be a good feeder as magazine feeding is essential.

Accuracy international rifles are very good and very popular at my club and the only reason I didn’t get one is coz i’m A lefty.

Kakaduthunder

#11 Postby Kakaduthunder » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Don’t even consider a second focal plane scope. On many stages you aren’t allowed or don’t have time to adjust your turrets. If you get a second focal plane scope you can only use one power setting which is less then ideal.

Anything other then mil turrets and a mil type recticle is just making things incredibly hard. There are many good choices of recticles offered by many good brands.

When I started I used a factory Tikka varmit in 260 and spent more money on a good scope which I think is a good way to go.

willow

#12 Postby willow » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Kakaduthunder wrote:Don’t even consider a second focal plane scope. On many stages you aren’t allowed or don’t have time to adjust your turrets. If you get a second focal plane scope you can only use one power setting which is less then ideal.

Anything other then mil turrets and a mil type recticle is just making things incredibly hard. There are many good choices of recticles offered by many good brands.

When I started I used a factory Tikka varmit in 260 and spent more money on a good scope which I think is a good way to go.

The NSW comps at Hornsby, and Canberra are all at known distances, there are some guys running second focal plane scopes and winning comps with them so they're not completely useless for this type of shooting in Australia.

SunnyCoast 5r

#13 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:43 am

My NXS is 2nd focal plane but sub tends at 22x so I think it will work ok. Bought it for a good price off a bloke that gave FClass away. It’s solid. Can’t afford another scope yet.

Kakaduthunder

#14 Postby Kakaduthunder » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:54 am

Sorry guys I may have my disciplines slightly confused. In PRS we shoot at multiple targets at different distances in one string. Average shot time 12 seconds. For instance you may engage a target at 300m then 400m, then 500m then back to 200meters. In these instances you use to recticle to perform your hold overs. You don’t have time to click up and down. If you get a second focal plane scope the recticle will only be correct at one magnification, which is normally full power in the scope. This is not always practical as you have to find targets at different distances all over the range. Full power normally gives you a smallish field of view and if the mirage is running can be problematic. At this the the fact that you will be somewhat unsteady shooting off a barricade of some sort high magnification is sometimes a disadvantage.

If your comps are all at one distance in a string or you have plenty of time to adjust turrets then you might be alright with a second focal plane. If you are always prone then high magnification could be used.

Kakaduthunder

#15 Postby Kakaduthunder » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:57 am

Of course if you own a good second focal plane scope run what you have. If you are looking to setup a PRS rig and have the funds for a new scope seriously consider first focal plane.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”