Inconsistent firing pin strike with a twist

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

scott/r

Inconsistent firing pin strike with a twist

#1 Postby scott/r » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:27 pm

Hey guys, I just checking out the cases that my old 98 mauser has shot over the last couple of weeks. They are nraa Winchester rounds, 1st fire in the old girl. The inconsistencies that I'm talking about is that on some of the primers, the pin strike is centered on the primer and others are quite off to one side. Is it possible that the factory cases are a fare bit smaller than the chamber, or do I have other problems I should be looking at. It's shooting quite well, considering, and is in pretty good nick, including the bolt. I'm bit of a sucker with old firearms and am trying to get this one up and running as it used to be owned by one of my clubmates. Until about a month ago, it hadn't been fired since he bought his new O'mark in 1970.
20180226_184344.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wal86

Re: Inconsistent firing pin strike with a twist

#2 Postby Wal86 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:59 pm

Scott,

Nothing to be concerned about, I don't believe it would be chamber related or brass.. I would be more inclined to think that the bolt has excessive amounts of movement within the race way of the action, lugs most likely are not locking up evenly/square, because of the slop each time the bolt is closed it doesn't line up the same each time. The case is then positioned differently in the bolt face..

Cheers

Return to “Equipment & Technical”