BEST SCOPE FOR F OPEN

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Bigtravoz

Re: BEST SCOPE FOR F OPEN

#46 Postby Bigtravoz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:21 pm

8-32 bsa $140. Buy 3 with mounts, when one starts playing up put it on your 22 and install the next one which you have pre zeroed and go again. :lol:

This is a bit tongue in cheek but I have one on a 243 and it tracks beautifully and has good optical clarity. It also holds point of aim very well and has a nice fine but easily visible reticle.

John T

#47 Postby John T » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:13 pm

When I opened this topic, I said that my priority in an F Open scope was that it had to handle high level "abuse". It had to be "rugged, reliable, repeatable".

Those with knowledge, have translated this to mean "tracking".

I will call it "RRT": Reliable Repeatable Tracking.

This topic has established one thing beyond doubt.
A SCOPE MUST HAVE RRT.
Enough bells and whistles will always accompany.

SCOTT, you and the many of us who have blind faith in our scopes, probably missed this comment by:
WILLIADA; "My view for competition is I treat scopes like barrels. Its time to change if they go off."

Mighty hard to ditch $3,500. But it could be the best decision you will ever make.

Regards,
John T.

Gyro

#48 Postby Gyro » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:02 am

But John T the problem with this thread still remains : we need a scope engineer to tell us what actually goes on inside a rifle scope.

Tell ya one lesson I've learnt about buying tools is buy a good one. It will cost but it will remain a good tool for MANY years. Even when it's old and worn I'd bet it will still work better than a new cheap tool.

Gyro

#49 Postby Gyro » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:22 am

Tell y'all a funny story : a guy in our club buys a 'cheap ' tablet so he can have his own screen for our E Targets. The cheap tablet turns out to be not suitable so he buys one a little bit more expensive and it gets the job done for a while but still not well enough so being unhappy with it he's in the market for a 'good ' one now.

The problem is he's already spent as much as he would have if he'd gone out and bought a good one at the outset so now he can't justify spending all that money so guess what he does ? He buys one just a bit better than the second one !

True story folks. Sorry to go off the topic.

Chris S

#50 Postby Chris S » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:58 pm

Buy once cry once....

cheers,
Chris S
You can never carry too much ammo...
unless you are drowning or on fire.

John T

#51 Postby John T » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:58 pm

Here are two Sightron articles.

Tracking test.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/200 ... t-part-ii/

ExacTrack review (Info-ad?)
www.scopesguide.com/exactrack-by-sightron.shtml

Yes, you could have bought a new Magna when they were written, but we hope the knowledgeable will comment.

Do we need to know the intricate workings of the rifle scope or could a little knowledge be a dangerous thing?

Australian F Open has an exceptional scope expert. Perhaps he is under riding instructions not to engage.

Regards,
John T.

Chopper

#52 Postby Chopper » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:08 pm

Buy once cry once :?:
sometimes cry twice [-X chopper

macguru

#53 Postby macguru » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:55 am

I actually tried a couple of march scopes again on the weekend .... reinforced what i said before ... great optics from both the marches and the NF comp, but different colours, both really clear. I actually prefer the controls on the NF comp (and the NXS) but that may be personal preference. You cannot go wrong with either. I think if you are on a limited budget the NF benchrest 10-42 would be the go.....I have owned them and they are fine.
id quod est

ShaneG

#54 Postby ShaneG » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:28 am

NF BR great value scopes but caveat on the 12-42 is amount of adjustment available.
Just watch that or may need a 30 moa rail?

John T

#55 Postby John T » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:11 am

Hello All.

Unless someone screams "don't do it!", my next buy will be the Sightron.

Regards,
John T.

Gyro

#56 Postby Gyro » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:25 am

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... -for-k02m/

See that scope this guy's using John T ?

17brno

#57 Postby 17brno » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:48 am

Gyro wrote:Tell y'all a funny story : a guy in our club buys a 'cheap ' tablet so he can have his own screen for our E Targets. The cheap tablet turns out to be not suitable so he buys one a little bit more expensive and it gets the job done for a while but still not well enough so being unhappy with it he's in the market for a 'good ' one now.

The problem is he's already spent as much as he would have if he'd gone out and bought a good one at the outset so now he can't justify spending all that money so guess what he does ? He buys one just a bit better than the second one !

True story folks. Sorry to go off the topic.

And he still uses the club tablets cause the third one is crap lol

Regards Ivan

John T

#58 Postby John T » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks Gyro.

Clearly, this guy had no budget, yet he chose a Sightron SIII. OK, it may have been chosen because it had the required elevation range, but surely some of the very expensive scopes mentioned on this topic offer similar in 24-power?

The SIII was my intended, but maybe I should look again at the SV with ED glass (not keen on the small 1/10 MOA dot).

Regards,
John T.

wsftr

#59 Postby wsftr » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 am

The 1K Br guys in the US are super excited about the Kahles 10-50. So far it is 2-2 for their POI testing against a frozen scope on a dual scope mount. I understand they have another 5 to be tested. Optically they don't feel it is as good as a NF comp but more around a NXS BR. The optics comments are pure opinion from them.
Jay Christopherson (?) from accurate shooter gave it good praise in heavy mirage at BSWN
Could pay to wait and see the outcome before shelling out.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”