NECK SIZING

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

twotwothree

NECK SIZING

#1 Postby twotwothree » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:27 am

Hi,
I have brought a foster bushing bump neck sizing die for a 6.5x47 and am unsure how to set it up. From what i have googled you can partial neck size, size the whole neck,or bump the shoulder. I dont know which method to use but i am thinking to size the full length of the neck and bump the shoulder back when chambering the round becomes hard?. Thanks for any replies.

Old Trev-39

Re: NECK SIZING

#2 Postby Old Trev-39 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi twotwothree,
With my 6.5 x 47 I size about half of the neck. This is all the length that the bearing surface of my projectiles utilise. Any more is only working more of the case than needed. I set the shoulder bump to just touch the shoulder after the second firing of the cases. This also stops excessive working of the cases and keeps them with zero head space. Have not had any problems with this method in all my rifles.
Cheers,
Trevor.

twotwothree

#3 Postby twotwothree » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:10 am

Thanks Trevor,
That sounds like a good idea I will give that a try. I think I will order hornady headspace gauge kit to measure the shoulder as well.

scott/r

#4 Postby scott/r » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:10 am

These are a great die to use, but again like all dies, if they set right. If you bought it new there will be an instruction sheet in the bottom of the box. It's written well, so just follow the instructions step by step and you'll be good to go.
And yes, you'll need the headspace gauge to set your shojlder bump correctly.

bruce moulds

#5 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:32 am

or you will need your rifle and bolt with the firing pin removed.
doing this will get it right, as opposed to what is percieved to be right.
yet another opportunity not to cave in to the marketing machine.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

scott/r

#6 Postby scott/r » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:32 pm

I agree with you Bruce, if you are chasing the lands for overall length, but if you are just looking at shoulder bump, then the gauges work well taking measurements from a fired case and subtracting the length you require.

bruce moulds

#7 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:58 pm

scott,
you need the headspace set for your chamber.
you need a correctly bumped case to use the gauge anyway.
once the die is set then you are laughing.
spend the money on bullets and barrels and learn to read the wind better sooner.
so many things people buy that they don't need.
keep safe,
bruce.

Gyro

#8 Postby Gyro » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:04 pm

Bruce you old Scrooge you ...... but I'm with on ultimately using feel to know what's going on !

Happy New Years Y'all, Cheers Rob

twotwothree

#9 Postby twotwothree » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:38 pm

Thanks you all for your replies,
I did remove the firing pin to find the lands which worked very well, but im having trouble with cases once i try to neck size them. I am getting a different feel when I close the bolt. reading the die instructions it says to screw the die in till it touches the shell holder which doesnt look like its sizing the whole neck. I think I will wait till my headspace guages turn up so I can see what im doing to them

bruce moulds

#10 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:28 pm

gyro,
call me a tightarse if you want.
it is easy in this day and age to become a gadget spender.
some seem to get off on this more than shooting.
of them some think that enough gadgets combined with high b.c. will do it all for you.
keep safe,
bruce.

6.5x55ai

#11 Postby 6.5x55ai » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:49 am

twotwothree wrote:Thanks you all for your replies,
I did remove the firing pin to find the lands which worked very well, but im having trouble with cases once i try to neck size them. I am getting a different feel when I close the bolt. reading the die instructions it says to screw the die in till it touches the shell holder which doesnt look like its sizing the whole neck. I think I will wait till my headspace guages turn up so I can see what im doing to them

I think you may be confusing 2 different processes. Ignore me if I am wrong? One process is finding the optimum headspacing/case FL sizing for your rifle, the other process is to find the seating depth point at which the projectile comes in contact with the lands.
What Bruce is referring to is I believe setting up an optimum catridge headspacing for your individual rifle.
The way I do this is to remove the striker assembly from the bolt and then chamber the case. As long as your bolt does not have a plunge ejector you then have a very good feel for the case fit.
For my Barnards I size so that there is very mild bolt closure resistance at the last bit of closing the bolt. Others may set more clearance but that is my preference.
Hornady gauges are OK to measure for reference data but the bushes are not that great. I have an original Stoney Point gauge but use bushes made with the correct shoulder angles for each cartridge I have eg 40 degrees for my 6.5AI and so on.

scott/r

#12 Postby scott/r » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:39 am

twotwothree wrote:Thanks you all for your replies,

Yeh, I think you are getting a few of the adjustments confused with the others. If you have a look af the photo below, you'll see there's 3 different adjustments you need to make to set the forster bushing bump die up correctly after you have cleaned it.
Step 1:- Adjust the die lock ring to set your shoulder bump.Do this by adjusting the die in the die lock ring and resize a few cases (adjusting for each one) until you get the length you want. This is a bit finicky and will probably take you a couple of cases to get right. But once it's done, it's set, it's set. Mine is still spot on after over 1000 resizes. And the beauty of this is you can take the neck size spindle out and use it as just bump die if you wish.
Step 2:- Adjust the spindle bushing and large lock nut to set the length of neck you want resized. Very simple.
Step 3:- Adjust the spindle and small lock nut to set the decapping pin. Even simpler.

One other thing is if you don't neck turn, then you'll probably want an expander ball to screw onto the decapping spindle. The bushings size the outside of the necks, and without them being a uniform thickness, the inside of the neck won't be right.
20180101_061217.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

twotwothree

#13 Postby twotwothree » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:02 am

Yes it seems I have had it all wrong,
I have removed the firing pin and plunger (tikka action) and I will give it a go.
Thanks a lot for your help, It makes it a lot easier.

twotwothree

#14 Postby twotwothree » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:50 am

Still having no luck, Some of my reloads chamber with no resistance on the bolt with out even being resized. Other rounds will not chamber after resizing. The rounds that wont chamber were used in a ladder test and have some pressure sighns. Im thinking I might need a f/l sizer does this sound right. Thanks

Gyro

#15 Postby Gyro » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:16 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLG2kSrD40g

What the man is saying is do a FLS EVERY TIME !!

Return to “Equipment & Technical”