Reloading press advice

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

coffeecycle22

Reloading press advice

#1 Postby coffeecycle22 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi Folks

Looking to start reloading, been doing all the required reading etc and now it's time to purchase some equipment. So which press to go with? We are going to reload 308 and 223 for f class and 9mm for ipsc. Only considering two presses, so the big question is Forster Co Ax or Dillion 650 with Whidden floating tool head upgrades and dies. Powder would be digital scale weighed and hand loaded in both setups. I can make arguments for both in the positive and negative so some opinion from users of these presses would be greatly appreciated.

budget

Re: Reloading press advice

#2 Postby budget » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:15 pm

hi there,
i don't know if this is applicable to you or not but i have had my fair share of reloading press in my day.
i have decided to upgrade again a go for a locally made one from ccw engineering in WA.
Check out his Facebook page,it is only in the infancy stage but well worth the lock.
regards paul.

6.5x55ai

#3 Postby 6.5x55ai » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:55 pm

You've got 2 different situations here. A need for a churnerouterer for the 9 mil in which case the Dillons are the way to go. With the F Class loading, speed is not the deal, precision is. Whether the Dillon are precision machines I cannot comment.

I have lusted after a Forster Co-Ax for years. They are nice with universal jaws and the die quick change feature but how long does it take to screw a die in and out of a thread press or change a shell holder?

I still have my original RCBS JR2 which has the year 72 stamped on it. It is not a super duper compound press but still does all I need and with good precision. Having said that I only use it now for FLSing (up to 284W). It is quite powerful enough for that. All other aspects of my loading nowadays are done using Wilson dies under an arbor press.

You mention digital scales. Don't buy any of the cheap shite. I run an AnD Fx300i. Tried a Gempro but it was rubbush as well - drifting issues which is typucal of cheap strain gauge technology scales.
And, I still have my old Ohaus mechanical sitting in the back of the cupboard though.

UL1700

#4 Postby UL1700 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:22 pm

You have two radically different presses there, one for volume and the other for accuracy. To start reloading I'm not sure that the dillion is the way to go. For what's it's worth I'm using a RCBS summit and loving it. Drilling the centre is not a issue, 70 rounds through a new rifle build and I just got a 60.6 (308 F tr at 500) I don't have a concentricity gauge but the rounds are definitely working for me at the moment. I'm also new to F class and reloading.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”