GRS Beserk Stock

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Lammi

GRS Beserk Stock

#1 Postby Lammi » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Hey guys & girls,

I am starting into the sport of target shooting. In my effort to get started with as little money invested as possible, till I know what I want I have acquired a Howa with a varmint barrel in .308. A few surprising things with this rifle is accuracy out of the box with good factory ammo (just under 1moa). The big chamber length to accommodate good COAL for 185 jugs, and the bloody price of the thing. $550 at cleavers.

I wasn't happy with the flimsy Hogue stock so that went and a GRS Berserk stock replaced it. Value for money appealed to me, and I figured once it ran its course getting me started in F/TR shooting I can use it as a hunting rifle stock. My problem is that it's got a flimsy for-end and it's tough to keep on target. I was hoping someone may have had experience with this or know someone who has.

Thanks for taking a look.

Josh

Gyro

Re: GRS Beserk Stock

#2 Postby Gyro » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:30 pm

U mean hard to keep on target after recoil ?

lonerider43

#3 Postby lonerider43 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:11 pm

fill the pockets in the forend with gorilla hair.
that'll stiffen her up.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

Gyro

#4 Postby Gyro » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:17 am

Trouble is just stiffening up the fore end won't change much because the stock will still flex/hinge about the receiver section where it is light on material due to being slim here plus has a big cutout for the magazine.

Ergonomically those stocks are very good BUT not ideal for a competitive FTR rifle. You could still have fun with it and do some good shooting with it but I would suggest the following : have the bipod on a "forgiving" surface like a soft mat. Have your rear bag DIRECTLY below where your cheek presses down. Don't use a hard hand hold on the pistol grip, just a very soft hold just enough to properly position your trigger finger. Don't reach forward and hold the fore end with the non trigger hand.

Don't even think about trying the big bullets.

The thinking behind my suggestions are all about getting shots away without the gun being "loaded up" with stresses. Operate the rifle in such a way that it stays relaxed. Poor technique will cost you dearly. Cheers Rob.

macguru

#5 Postby macguru » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:35 am

I am shooting one of these from a harris bipod (grs beserk/sav10) , supporting with both hands and a sling. just a 26in barrel. best so far is a 59/60 but the stock is not the limiting factor. However with a long barrel and heavy bullets using an ftr bipod the bedding may be an issue. you cannot get the action bolts really tight. I would go for the grs hybrid timber stock with a bedding job.
id quod est

Gyro

#6 Postby Gyro » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:25 am

Shooting a 'flexible' stock with a relatively narrow footprint bipod like a Harris or Atlas can be ok for sure.

I don't claim to be an expert in this area but I do follow some principles I've developed over time.

Two days ago at our Saturday club shoot an old guy showed up, minus his rifle, so we set him up with a club FTR one. He started shooting and had shots going everywhere with lots of elevation problems at 300 yards. Nobody bothered trying to help him out and being the nosey bastard I am I took a look at his technique.

The bipod was a wide rigidly fixed one. He had some random sand bags/socks which were NOT taking care of the back end at all well. So being that the back-end stability and height setting couldn't be trusted he was 'muscling' the gun into position with a heavy grip on the fore end. I suspect his trigger hand grip was firm too so I felt that he was shall we say .... "loading the gun with stresses".

Anyways I suggested he try a light trigger hand grip and take his hand off the fore end and use that hand to reach around and squeeze the rear bag to get the rifle pointed where ya want it to be and voila .... he started getting some good shots away.

Afterwards he said to me "but I always shoot my rifles holding the fore end", as he said he normally field shoots with the front of the rifle rested on his day pack. So I tried to explain my "theory" about too much gun-handling interference with a gun set up on a wide rigid bipod.

Just my opinion ..... I personally reckon most of us have rifles capable of some very accurate shooting but ....

Gyro

#7 Postby Gyro » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:59 am

Further to this discussion which seems mostly about using a "field rifle" for target shooting ....... I have a 243 I use as a play rifle to shoot occasional targets but mostly rabbits and other small game with and have had better luck with using a very soft rear bag. This bag is just a 250 x 250mm square bag stuffed full with those tiny round polystyrene balls they use in bean bags.

This bag is extremely light and I've fitted a webbing belt to it with a clip buckle and just wear it on my waist. I'm speculating here but I believe a soft bag like that has merit because it has miles of height adjustment and supports the rifles back end in a very forgiving way. I still load the bipod ( a modified Harris ) with some forward push and have a light trigger hand grip.

This may or may not work as well with a 308 as there's so much more "gun upset" ?

Just some food for thought .........

macguru

#8 Postby macguru » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:02 am

It works...I have a small backpack stuffed with a couple of towels under the back, put the rifle into my shoulder, and use a 2 point sling and harris bipod (308) I think the sling helps with stability once you get used to it.
id quod est

Return to “Equipment & Technical”