anyone tried the Hornady ELD's

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Normmatzen

Re: anyone tried the Hornady ELD's

#16 Postby Normmatzen » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 am

Willow,

I don't remember the jump but it was not much. My COL was 3.112". I am shooting a 28" barrel, using RL-16 which is more expensive in OZ than here in the states. But, I am driving them mildly at 2825 fps. My 600 yd group was 2.04" and the 1000 yd group was 3.56". I have shot slightly better groups with my 6mm, but not by much. I'm going to try 6mm ELD-M next!

I tune my rifle using the "blue book' from the Australian Rifle Association, forgot the writer's name, but he espouses characterizing the barrel with round robin 5 shot groups of a ladder of loads (I use 1% steps for 5-6 steps) and put the Mv, SD and ES on EXCEL with ES vs load then use the curve fit to develop a 4th or 5th polynomial curve. I use the null from the curve fit instead of trying a bunch of bullet positions as I believe "finding the jump the barrel likes" is just a more exact load than the usual ladder test. The book then goes on about how to cut the barrel short for final tune. I instead use my Australian made tuner to come to final load tune.
Norm

Savage 7mm

Re: anyone tried the Hornady ELD's

#17 Postby Savage 7mm » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:41 pm

I bought a sample 20 pack to try I usually run the sierra match king 180g, keen to see how the hornady perform

Return to “Equipment & Technical”