Primers what's you use and why not the others

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Bigtravoz

Primers what's you use and why not the others

#1 Postby Bigtravoz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Fairly new to the target game and so far have been using Winchester large rifle primers with no complaints. I see that a lot use and swear by federal or cci. What I am asking is real info regarding testing of extreme spread and standard deviation velocity/accuracy difference from people who have tried various different primers with loads not just Joe blogs chiming in that Winchester are shit cause grandad said so. Please let me see some real data. Thanks

ajvanwyk

Re: Primers what's you use and why not the others

#2 Postby ajvanwyk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Can't help you with Winchester.... Grandad must have never used them.... I do use BR2's and Fed 210M and can say through testing that the Federals give me approximately 20 - 30 fps move velocity with the same powder load.... Take it for what it is.

My view on components is that only the target can tell you what works and what does not.

Albert
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

Gyro

#3 Postby Gyro » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:06 am

RDavies

#4 Postby RDavies » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:22 am

The simplest way for you to see what works best IN YOUR PARTICULAR RIFLE is to try a few different types of primers which you can get hold of easily, over a chronograph. I would suggest just trying 3-4 different primers which seem to be most common, so maybe Winchester, CCI BR2, Fed 210M and maybe Sellier & Bellot or the Murrom primers if you can get hold of them.
Try to fire 12 shots with each over a chronograph, maybe borrow a magnetospeed or Labradar and do it during a regular club shoot? See which primer gives the best ES/SD in your set up and don't worry too much about small differences in accuracy which could be caused by conditions, shooter error or ET faults.
Another reason not to worry too much about small differences in accuracy when primer testing is that the primer which gives best ES/SD might move the load just out of the node, which a slight powder adjustment can rectify. Conversely, a primer which gives bad ES/SD just might move your velocity into the middle of a node which might make them appear to be best when you test at a mid range club shoot, but will cause head aches when shooting 900-1000yds later on.
Another reason to try the primers in your own gun, is that different primers will work better in different firing pin/spring combinations, barrels, powder types etc. For instance, the PMC primers work GREAT in my Barnard 284 running 2209, but people with lighter firing pins/spring combinations got misfires and bad ES/SD with them. My main testing and shooting partner is using the same calibre, powder, bullets as me but gets much better ES/SD with Fed 210s, while mine much preferred BR2s.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”