155gr dyer on game?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

BATattack

155gr dyer on game?

#1 Postby BATattack » Fri May 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Just wondering if anyone in our crowd has used the 155gr dyer on game? was it effective and reliable at all?

Send-it

Re: 155gr dyer on game?

#2 Postby Send-it » Fri May 06, 2016 8:44 pm

i tried it only a couple of times, on small pigs.
both times, it seemed like it 'penciled' through, without expansion.
but in hindsight i should have tried some more on other game.
I've dissected a projectile length ways, and seen that they have a fairly deep hollow point.
possibly, if it hits some decent bone or similar, they should expand and do a reasonable job.
I might try them again one day though.

Razer

#3 Postby Razer » Fri May 06, 2016 10:52 pm

Dyers are like all 'dedicated target projectiles' and only have thin jackets and are designed frangible for rifle ranges.
Not recommended for hunting, but, if you want a good projectile for hunting then try Remington Core Lokt. They make a very good 150gr projectile which I have used for many years.
You can get Core Lokt 165grs, plus heavier ones but I found the 150gr the best all round weight and used 46grs 2208 in Winchester brass which was safe in my rifle(Sako). (Winchester brass was ex-military, so didn't matter if I lost some)
If you have to use Dyers on thin skinned game, then take the tip off with a grinder to just expose the lead. Will not go straight through, nor affect accuracy in a hunting situation.
If you hit a decent pig on the shoulder with frangible projectiles, they will just blow up without penetrating at all.
Not recommended for humane kills or stopping power.

timothi3197

#4 Postby timothi3197 » Sat May 07, 2016 6:27 pm

I have used them on fallow deer for four seasons now between 40 and 250 meters and haven't had an issue and will keep on using them.

I started using them by accident(wrong ammo box) and they are cheaper than what I was originally using so kept on doing so.

My main complaint is I keep on being told they won't work on fallow.(not because people have actually tried them but simply because they don't think it is right).

Send-it

#5 Postby Send-it » Sun May 08, 2016 6:38 am

timothi3197 wrote:I have used them on fallow deer for four seasons now between 40 and 250 meters and haven't had an issue and will keep on using them.

yeah i always thought i should have tried them a bit more.
coz they're not a very dear projectile either.

Kakaduthunder

#6 Postby Kakaduthunder » Mon May 09, 2016 6:34 pm

There are quite a large group of hunters in the NT that use these projies for Culls. I am one of them. We get seconds at a really good rate. Mostly used on donkeys and pigs. Are there better projies out there for hunting? You bet yah but not at this price. I am talking literally thousands of humanely downed animals. Like all hunting the shot needs to be well placed. I draw the line at buff but others haven't.

BATattack

#7 Postby BATattack » Tue May 10, 2016 10:39 pm

hmmmmm maybe an excessive medplat trimming session would help with reliable expansion :-)

good to know anyway. The other cheap option would probably be the Hornady z max.

OuttaAmmo

#8 Postby OuttaAmmo » Thu May 12, 2016 11:43 am

Just to clear something up:

The are NO such things as HBC "SECONDS".

There are "REJECTS". These do not make the grade to be a commercially sold HBC bullet.
And likely not sold to the general public.

Answer to the OP: Yes they work on game. I too cull pigs horses and donkeys with them. Actually just put down a lame horse this morning. It was a close headshot admittedly but I wouldn't use it if I wasn't confident in the bullet. Especially when you have the owners in tears already, standing right beside you.

macguru

#9 Postby macguru » Fri May 13, 2016 7:00 am

Hope you have a better one today....... can't be easy no matter how many times

all the best
id quod est

Bigtravoz

#10 Postby Bigtravoz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:53 pm

OuttaAmmo wrote:Just to clear something up:

The are NO such things as HBC "SECONDS".

There are "REJECTS". These do not make the grade to be a commercially sold HBC bullet.
And likely not sold to the general public.

Answer to the OP: Yes they work on game. I too cull pigs horses and donkeys with them. Actually just put down a lame horse this morning. It was a close headshot admittedly but I wouldn't use it if I wasn't confident in the bullet. Especially when you have the owners in tears already, standing right beside you.

Umm think you have that the wrong way around. The rejects are the seconds. Sold as hunters due to more than a grain of weight variation in the batch (I know I have bought them and the ones that make grade) still wouldn't call them rejects though.

jasmay

#11 Postby jasmay » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Razer wrote:Dyers are like all 'dedicated target projectiles' and only have thin jackets and are designed frangible for rifle ranges.

Where does this info come from?

In my experience Target projectiles actually have thicker jackets, this is the reason they don't expand, the reason for the thicker jacket is so they can withstand the higher pressures and stresses they are out under in Targer shooting.

This can all be read on most bullet manufacturing sites, especially Berger in the FAQ section.

The dyers, are a coveted bullet in the NT for hunters, locally made, more accurate than a lot of hunting projectiles and do the job well.

Bigtravoz

#12 Postby Bigtravoz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:09 pm

jasmay wrote:
Razer wrote:Dyers are like all 'dedicated target projectiles' and only have thin jackets and are designed frangible for rifle ranges.

Where does this info come from?

In my experience Target projectiles actually have thicker jackets, this is the reason they don't expand, the reason for the thicker jacket is so they can withstand the higher pressures and stresses they are out under in Targer shooting.

This can all be read on most bullet manufacturing sites, especially Berger in the FAQ section.

The dyers, are a coveted bullet in the NT for hunters, locally made, more accurate than a lot of hunting projectiles and do the job well.

Agreed too many dribble too much sh!? Can show anyone interested hundred o dyers etc that have been fired into a dirt mound that look like they could be re loaded and shot again. In fact if they were "frangible" they would probably be declared unsafe and banned on ranges for safety reasons. Frangible projectiles are purely for pelt hunters and special operations teams where they don't want a bullet to exit target.

flatlina

#13 Postby flatlina » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:24 am

I've used the original BJD's and the HBC's on donkeys, horses , camels and pigs over the years. I did a test 15 years ago for Bob Dyer on a couple of large boars that I shot quartering away and the projectiles were recovered from the off shoulder . Sure they were a bit smashed up but the boars didn't go anywhere. Wild dogs are not a problem and I've never had a pill pencil thru.
In regards to "rejects, seconds " all I can say is that Dave is very pedantic about his product and rejects any that he feels doesn't meets his high standard. These projectiles still shoot very accurately.

Regards
john

Return to “Equipment & Technical”