Several primers not showing much pin strike

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bolster55

Re: Several primers not showing much pin strike

#61 Postby bolster55 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:40 am

hello Johnk
primers weighed between 3.68 and 3.70 grains, no relationship between the two types of primers.
The large radius primers had the same variation in weight as the small radius primers.
regards
Phil

johnk

#62 Postby johnk » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:40 am

Ta.

bainp

#63 Postby bainp » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:19 am

See attached photo of normal strike on left and light strike on right
Normal and light strike primers.JPG

There was no appreciable difference in the feel when I ejected the spent primers from the cases using a Wilson spent primer punch under a small arbor press. There also was no appreciable difference in the feel of seating new primers in the two cases. I use a Lee hand primer so difference in feel is very obvious. I also have gauges for primer pockets to tell if the pocket has expanded. The primer pocket of both cases would not let the "no go" gauge enter
What is causing this???
Regards _ Philip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jasmay

#64 Postby jasmay » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:26 am

You sure your firing pin isn't getting hung up?... "light strike" looks almost like no strike....

Brad Y

#65 Postby Brad Y » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:49 pm

If these cases have been fired before and not excessively fl sized I agree with Jason. Firing pin assembly needs attention

KHGS

#66 Postby KHGS » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:42 pm

bainp wrote:See attached photo of normal strike on left and light strike on rightNormal and light strike primers.JPG
There was no appreciable difference in the feel when I ejected the spent primers from the cases using a Wilson spent primer punch under a small arbor press. There also was no appreciable difference in the feel of seating new primers in the two cases. I use a Lee hand primer so difference in feel is very obvious. I also have gauges for primer pockets to tell if the pocket has expanded. The primer pocket of both cases would not let the "no go" gauge enter
What is causing this???
Regards _ Philip

Phill, I believe you have two problems in the same area.
1) It is a no no to put grease on the firing pin assembly, firing pin assemblies should be saturated with a WD40 style spray & them blown off with an air hose. Cocking cams should be lubed with a "saturated" Mos2 grease.
2) Your spring is weak & needs to be replaced.
Keith H.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”