Digitise Image from Spotting Scope - rule breaker?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Gerard

Digitise Image from Spotting Scope - rule breaker?

#1 Postby Gerard » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi Guys,

During practice sessions in the old days (i.e. last year) when we had manual targets I used to mount my phone camera on my spotting scope and video record the shot placement. This also functioned as a remote viewing monitor.
I only used that during practice sessions and coupled the video of the target with other video footage of me shooting on the mound, which showed position changes and wind flags changes I had missed. Pretty informative to learn from.

Now, we of course use E-targets and the spotting scope functions to capture wind/mirage rather than shot placement.

The downside for me in using a spotting scope is I find it difficult to position close enough to maintain position during the shoot, and often bump it out of alignment.. and as a TR shooter you have problems with one arm in a sling trying to reposition and focus a spotting scope, reaching across the rifle with your other arm....

So...
I have been considering attaching a digital eyepiece to my spotting scope and hooking it up to a computer tablet. That way I could position it out of the way..and *IF* the resolution and frame rate is adequate I may be able to capture wind flags and mirage while remaining in position.

Now heres the question: Is that giving me an unfair advantage over competitors if I use it in competition?? SSR page 21, section 3.3.6.
I think that maybe it is..

So perhaps a more pragmatic solution to my knocking the scope out of position and struggling to reposition with one arm is.. (Not give up TR!), manufacture a spotting scope stand with a mechanical remote arm (like the 'joypad?' shooting rests ) that would enable me to manoeuvre the scope horizontally and vertically with one hand.. (anyone developed one already????? )

cheers,
Gerard. (with too much time on his hands..)

johnk

Re: Digitise Image from Spotting Scope - rule breaker?

#2 Postby johnk » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:14 pm

The question ultimately is, "Can I defend my choice when an appeal is laid?"

RMc

#3 Postby RMc » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Pretty sure there is a rule against electronic devices on the mound.

Richard McRae

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:49 pm

4.2.1.17 The use of any sort of Electronic Device by Team Officials for scoring or plotting is NOT allowed if such devices have any capability of wireless or telephone communication. This applies even if the communication capability has been turned off. If Electronic Target Systems that rely on wireless communications are being used, refer to Rule 4.1.1.14 for exceptions to this Rule.

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:33 pm

See also rule 4.1.1.13 for shooting in individual competition :
Whilst on the Firing Point, a competitor may not use a mobile cell phone or
any other type of device which is capable of communicating either
wirelessly or through a wireless phone network. This applies even if the
communication capability has been turned off. See Rule 4.1.1.14 for
permissible exceptions to this.

GSells

#6 Postby GSells » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:16 pm

Gerad, what I did was dig one of my old Nikko night eater scopes that is not longer any use for rifle shooting and attach it via a rail to a camera stand . I then heated up a piece of 40 mm Dwv drain pipe and expanded one end , so it would fit over the eye piece to achieve the correct eye relief for an iPhone ( some people may have seen it at Bundy opm this year ) .

Then just sit it back off the mound with your iPhone and press record just before getting settled in .
Or do the same but with another cheaper spotting scope . The footage that was shown recently was from a $390.00 celstron 65 mm ultima . Could see the mirage clear enough . ( I spend the money on NF Comp scopes) .
I think also we have a responsibility with that footage that no one else is in shot and the conversations around the camera are in general and shooting orientated and no names are clearly mentioned maybe too!

Anyway that is what I do and it's only at club . I have done it at a prize meet with the RO permission with go pro attached to gun ! ( caught me swearing lol! :oops: )
But if someone wanted to be nasty and DQ me they are well within their right to do so ( with electronic devices on the mound .)

But I think it's agood training tool and done correctly good for promoting the sport on your club FB page .
Regards Graham.

Gerard

#7 Postby Gerard » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:59 am

Thanks Graham, I see you are another creative genius :)

Return to “Equipment & Technical”