.284 Shehane dies

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Beanie

.284 Shehane dies

#1 Postby Beanie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:01 pm

HI Guys
Just purchased a .284 Shehane and got a neck sizing die with it.
The guy I purchased it off said that a 7mm remington set of dies for seating and decaping is all i need.
Im confused with that so do I need to purchase a set of Sehane dies to decap and seat bullet as i dont think a set of .284 dies with do it either.
Please help as I what to get up and running with this gun but cant load without the dies and the guys been a dick
Thanks Dean

AlanF

Re: .284 Shehane dies

#2 Postby AlanF » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:42 pm

Dean,

Is the neck sizing die also FL sizing? If not you'll need a way of FL sizing. And a Rem Mag seater may be able to seat it but won't fit perfectly so likely to result in bullet runout problems. Most Shehane users have a Redding FL Bushing die or the equivalent Whidden, and a Wilson seater.

The Shehane will give you a little more velocity than a straight 284, but there is less choice of die manufacturers. You may want to rechamber to 284 as another option.

Alan

Beanie

#3 Postby Beanie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:57 pm

HI Alan
Will check die I thought it was a FL die but he said Neck when I asked an hour or so ago. Picked the whole rig up for $1500 nz and have brass etc so just need to sort the dies and good to go.
barnard action, true flute barrel, Barnard 20moa rail, manners stock and timney trigger. my mate has shoot it and it runs great he tells me so want it get it running ASAP
thanks for the info may need to buy some dies

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:24 pm

For what you're getting at that price, you can afford good dies and still have a bargain.

Singo85

#5 Postby Singo85 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Dean,

I have a whidden full length bushing die, which does both the body and neck. As for the seater i have a wilson, although i paid the priviledge of getting one off Bill Shehane and paid $$$$. You can get a set from whidden which includes the seater.

Dont try and skimp on dies etc, as they make a signifcant different when making quality ammo.
Cheers
Michael Singleton

Return to “Equipment & Technical”