Huntsman barrel tuners

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

jasmay

Huntsman barrel tuners

#1 Postby jasmay » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:53 am

All I can say is, if you haven't got one you are missing out.

I have never shot such finely tuned rifled in all my life, I brought 3 rifles to the 2017FCWC, all 3 were used during the teams match by myself and other shooters.

2 rifles shot the whole comp, the 3rd was brought out as it was performing much better than others, the 3rd was actually my 2nd or backup rifle and shot an amazing 98.8 @ 1000, I dropped on 1 shot to elevation the whole comp, without them I certainly wouldn't have the medals I do.

They are amazing, get yourself one!!

Gyro

Re: Huntsman barrel tuners

#2 Postby Gyro » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:07 am

Cool. Now can someone tell me if I have a 30" full diameter barrel on a 6.5x284 am I assured of improved results on the target ? I'm tempted to go down that road but fear I will just give myself a whole lot more variables to manage, and wear out the barrel finding what it likes ?

Gyro

#3 Postby Gyro » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:16 am

Or to put it another way ; is there enough known about tuners now such that the guys who have done the hard yards with them can be confident they will provide greater accuracy ? That's 'on call' accuracy. Has a proper scientific understanding of thier use been reached ? Regards Rob Kerridge.

sungazer

#4 Postby sungazer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:25 am

Personally at this stage I would get Peter Brock version

williada

#5 Postby williada » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Congratulations Jason. The Peter Brock version was only good for pulling young women, not the trigger (lol). That's in the mind, however a well designed tuner does work and you drive it with skill. Well done.

Gyro

#6 Postby Gyro » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:15 am

I'm aware this Tuner subject can be 'sensitive' and lead to argument. I would sugest its mostly a case of "time will tell" with tuners ? LET'S NOT BE FORGETTING THE HUGE AMOUNT OF VARIABLES INVOLVED HERE.

Shooters win both with and without them.

And I think you've gotta ask yourself "how much accuracy do you actually need to have a winning F Class package"? Of course you can never have too much !!! FWIW I'm likely going to hold off fitting one as in only year 7 of comp F Class shooting I've still got a whole bunch of more basic challenges to wrestle with and for me that's mostly about stock design. Regards Rob.

memilanuk

#7 Postby memilanuk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:39 am

Hello there Jason. Good seeing you again @ Connaught. While I was pretty tickled with my Cortina tuner I was certainly impressed with the Huntsman tuner(s) you were sporting on your guns. Very nice looking, and they seemed to shoot pretty well too :P

Cheers,

Monte

jasmay

#8 Postby jasmay » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:11 am

memilanuk wrote:Hello there Jason. Good seeing you again @ Connaught. While I was pretty tickled with my Cortina tuner I was certainly impressed with the Huntsman tuner(s) you were sporting on your guns. Very nice looking, and they seemed to shoot pretty well too :P

Cheers,

Monte

Ditto Monte!!

If you decide you want to try one the offer is still there!!

Straight shooting!!

jasmay

#9 Postby jasmay » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:57 am

Gyro wrote:Or to put it another way ; is there enough known about tuners now such that the guys who have done the hard yards with them can be confident they will provide greater accuracy ? That's 'on call' accuracy. Has a proper scientific understanding of thier use been reached ? Regards Rob Kerridge.

Rob, I after spending more than a year now shooting with them, talking to some of the most knowledgable shooters around the globe. And doing quite a bit of both testing and competition shooting with them, I would simply say Yes, they work.

The only way to prove it to yourself is to go down that same path.

Believe me when I say, the less tuners I see on FTR rifles, the happier I will be. :wink:

Dobbo

#10 Postby Dobbo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:20 pm

What thread are the tuners?
Dobbo

Gyro

#11 Postby Gyro » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Cheers Jase problem is I'm a sceptical one-eyed know-it-all bastard that doubts many things in this game !!

I've got all the drawings for a popular Tuner and might yet walk the 20 paces from my couch to my shed, grab a bit of steel off the rack and machine one up. I just spend a LOT of time with stock R&D and believe there's gains to be made there.

Lot's of stuff to play with.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”