Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Message
Author
templar1975
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:49 pm

Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

#1 Postby templar1975 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Apologies if this has been asked before but I am trying to find out the benefits of using CCI BR2 LR Primers over say CCI 200 LR

I am newly shooting .308 F-Class upto 800 Yards on a very limited budget using Benchrest 2208 powder. Ive been advised to use the BR2 Primers but they are double the price.

I am doing this on a temporary low budget due to ill health and so any info would be helpful

Barry Davies
Posts: 1151
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:11 pm

Re: Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

#2 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:14 pm

No need.
Nothing wrong with CCI LR200 and nothing wrong with Federal 210. We ( my wife and I ) use both with equal results.
Barry

scott/r
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:22 pm
Location: far north brisbane

Re: Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

#3 Postby scott/r » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:42 pm

The federal 210m are also very good and consistent at a cheaper price than the br primers.

templar1975
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:49 pm

Re: Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

#4 Postby templar1975 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks for the replies folks I am working very limited hours due ill health so my budget is a great deal tighter for now. Really appreciate it :)

kram
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:30 am

Re: Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

#5 Postby kram » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:16 pm

Cci 210 large rifle primers. The federal 210 are just a rebadge. Cci make em all.

AlanF
Posts: 6774
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: Maffra, Vic

Re: Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

#6 Postby AlanF » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:43 pm

templar1975 wrote:...I am trying to find out the benefits of using CCI BR2 LR Primers over say CCI 200 LR...

I believe BR-2s have a harder cup than 200s. So that would be an advantage with expanding primer pockets. Also, I've found Federals cause more flash hole erosion, possibly because they burn hotter.

kram wrote:...The federal 210 are just a rebadge. Cci make em all...

Haven't heard that before. Which CCI primer are Fed 210s a rebadge of?

johnk
Posts: 2168
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:55 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

#7 Postby johnk » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:15 pm

It certainly was (can't say is) the case the case that Federal GM were just selected batches of the standard Federal primers that showed particularly good characteristic when sampled & were subsequently "badged" with the squirt of wax or whatever it was. Contrarily, batches of the standard could have equal or better quality to the GM as Federal only extracted enough to satisfy their market for the moment.

bsouthernau
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

#8 Postby bsouthernau » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:37 pm

I've preferred the Federal over the CCI having read that they were bigger and therefore I'd get more firings before they'd fall out of the pocket again. HOWEVER, just measured some BR2s and GM210Ms. The CCI averaged .2108" diameter, the Federal .2106". I don't know about lot to lot variations but looks like another myth just bit the dust.

KHGS
Posts: 592
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Cowra NSW
Contact:

Re: Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

#9 Postby KHGS » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:08 pm

bsouthernau wrote:I've preferred the Federal over the CCI having read that they were bigger and therefore I'd get more firings before they'd fall out of the pocket again. HOWEVER, just measured some BR2s and GM210Ms. The CCI averaged .2108" diameter, the Federal .2106". I don't know about lot to lot variations but looks like another myth just bit the dust.


I have always found CCI primers to be more consistent re size & usually on the large end of the size scale CCI cup material is a shade harder than others with the exception of Remington. Federals seem to be a tad softer in the cup.
Keith H.

bsouthernau
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

#10 Postby bsouthernau » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:37 pm

KHGS wrote:I have always found CCI primers to be more consistent re size & usually on the large end of the size scale.......
Keith H.


Admittedly I only measured 10 of each, .3 of a thou variation in the CCI, .6 of a thou in the Federal.

kram
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:30 am

Re: Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

#11 Postby kram » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:37 pm

AlanF wrote:
templar1975 wrote:...I am trying to find out the benefits of using CCI BR2 LR Primers over say CCI 200 LR...

I believe BR-2s have a harder cup than 200s. So that would be an advantage with expanding primer pockets. Also, I've found Federals cause more flash hole erosion, possibly because they burn hotter.

kram wrote:...The federal 210 are just a rebadge. Cci make em all...

Haven't heard that before. Which CCI primer are Fed 210s a rebadge of?

CCI 210 large rifle primers I assume, I came across it once whilst looking into trademarks and licensing of 17 hmr suppliers. I can't remember where or how I got to it, but if I found it the information must be readily available to those who have a good idea of where to look.

AlanF
Posts: 6774
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: Maffra, Vic

Re: Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

#12 Postby AlanF » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:30 pm

kram wrote:
AlanF wrote:
templar1975 wrote:...I am trying to find out the benefits of using CCI BR2 LR Primers over say CCI 200 LR...

I believe BR-2s have a harder cup than 200s. So that would be an advantage with expanding primer pockets. Also, I've found Federals cause more flash hole erosion, possibly because they burn hotter.

kram wrote:...The federal 210 are just a rebadge. Cci make em all...

Haven't heard that before. Which CCI primer are Fed 210s a rebadge of?

CCI 210 large rifle primers I assume, I came across it once whilst looking into trademarks and licensing of 17 hmr suppliers. I can't remember where or how I got to it, but if I found it the information must be readily available to those who have a good idea of where to look.

Well, there is no such thing as a CCI 210 - they have 3 LR primers being 200, 250 and BR-2, and none of them resemble any of the Federal ones. This Equipment and Technical forum is here to help shooters by providing good advice. If you aren't sure about something, best not to provide advice.

johnk
Posts: 2168
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:55 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

#13 Postby johnk » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:23 pm

I think the confusion has arisen because both are owned by Vista Outdoors, a subsidiary of the Alliant conglomerate.

templar1975
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:49 pm

Re: Primers Question CCI BR2 Vs Large

#14 Postby templar1975 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:55 am

Just an update, I ended up trying the Federal 210 Match Primers I got 1000 for $77 from Reloaders Haven in Lara.

Have used over 600 of them between 2 shooters and have found them to be fantastic and working well.

Thanks for all the help and info folks I appreciate it.


Return to “Equipment & Technical”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests