280 AI information Blog

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

GSells

Re: 280 AI information Blog

#61 Postby GSells » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:43 am

Thanks gentlemen for your support. Yes it always was the challenge of taking on the mighty Saum with an oddball cartridge! At the end of the day it wouldn’t hold its tune and speed ! Yes 2870 is where it’s at for a 280 ai . Still a great cal but I’m afraid the Saum won !! Cheers all !

GSells

#62 Postby GSells » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:46 am

Now yes ...... next project 270-284 and Trentham hmmm. :lol:

KHGS

#63 Postby KHGS » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:12 am

Graham, did you ever think that it might be a Graham problem & not a bad choice of caliber???.................just saying!!!
Keith H.

GSells

#64 Postby GSells » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:08 am

KHGS wrote:Graham, did you ever think that it might be a Graham problem & not a bad choice of caliber???.................just saying!!!
Keith H.

Hi Keith , thank you for being so diplomatmatic lol! You could really have gone for the jugular and said “ I told you so !!!” But yes Keith the “Graham problem “ I think was a big factor in this . And me thinking I knew better than everyone else , comes to mind too lol! I am now choking a bit on my now very soggy and diminished ego !! #-o

You are correct it is a great cal , just not one to take on the world with at the moment as I don’t know any Captain that would risk it and also with no energy restrictions. We need to be in the 2950 FPS and up area ! I would still recommend it as a great cal and just like the 7-08 ai , live within its parameters. You will get great barrel life with 2209 and 2213sc and great accuracy! 8)

GSells

#65 Postby GSells » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:15 am

Just finishing up . I would have love to gone on like I did with the 7-08 ai and explored the 2870 FPS node . But I will make a clean divorce on this one and just go Saum . States up coming up , my form needs work and I really have to concentrate on 284 and finding my mojo again !

And again thankyou for everyone’s support. The blog isn’t over for those that want to continue it . Please feel free to put up any good info in the 2860-2870 FPS and the slow load ?

Regards Graham Sells .

KHGS

#66 Postby KHGS » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:35 am

GSells wrote:
KHGS wrote:Graham, did you ever think that it might be a Graham problem & not a bad choice of caliber???.................just saying!!!
Keith H.

Hi Keith , thank you for being so diplomatmatic lol! You could really have gone for the jugular and said “ I told you so !!!” But yes Keith the “Graham problem “ I think was a big factor in this . And me thinking I knew better than everyone else , comes to mind too lol! I am now choking a bit on my now very soggy and diminished ego !! #-o

You are correct it is a great cal , just not one to take on the world with at the moment as I don’t know any Captain that would risk it and also with no energy restrictions. We need to be in the 2950 FPS and up area ! I would still recommend it as a great cal and just like the 7-08 ai , live within its parameters. You will get great barrel life with 2209 and 2213sc and great accuracy! 8)

Ah, but Graham you see I do not believe that it is not the caliber to take on the world, it is just not "flavour of the month" is all. I would not in any circumstance swap my 280HI for a SAUM, but then I am a non-comformist & I do tend to think outside the box. Close scrutiny of a ballistic chart will show you that the SAUM has no ballistic advantage over a 280AI or a 280HI.
There are advantages in teams all using the same caliber and is understandably a requirement.
Keith H.

Matt P

#67 Postby Matt P » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:40 am

I must be with you Keith and I guess my SAUM mustn't be any good as it does meet this narrative "We need to be in the 2950 FPS and up area !"

GSells

#68 Postby GSells » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:16 pm

Ok , well a week has past and emotions are now out of the way . So a week or so ago just like the 7-08 ai I wanted to cut up the chamber too . In this case to a 7mm Saum . Which is a decision that is moving to 7 Saum I should have done a long time a go . However with about 700 rounds on the Lilja it’s just not worth chambering Saum as it would be near the end of its life . So the 280 ai will live !! Can anyone pick the repeat in history between the 7-08 ai and 280 ai ? The “ Graham Problem “ was a factor in both cals . In that I was trying to take them to dev squad for the worlds and pushed them way too hard and both failed at that .

I guess I’ll retune back to around the 2860 -80 FPS where Kieth and others have said where the 280 ai works . And let’s see if history can also repeat itself and this thing turns into a laser .
Time will tell .

Now I had a email question on loads from someone. So again slow load was awesome with 2209 and of course work loads up . But 52.8 2209 gave me with 180’s 2770 FPS br 2 primers and Norma brass .
Then loads with the go to powder 2213 sc and br 2 is around the 59.0 gr should give 2880 FPS out of a 30” barrel . Anyway we will keep it going and see where it takes us ?
Regards Graham.
Ps .284 w is going ok !

GSells

#69 Postby GSells » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:24 pm

Pss if you do well with a 280 ai please share ??!!

williada

#70 Postby williada » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:51 pm

GMan, its a trick to snow the opposition because those in the know are glued to this site. But they don't realize, we Aussies have led them around in circles, up and down gum trees, in and out of fog and now we are going to snow them. We tell them everything on Ozfclass. We hold every SAUM case the buggers want to get hold of and stashes of the magic projectile they thought they had dried up and barrels so fine you could die for. Now international sponsors are rushing us and forgetting their own. Kind of reminds me of outsourcing to China and losing control of destiny. Too late mate its gone. So pressure will be brought to bear on the manufacturers to do more runs of the mighty SAUM case? Again too late, because we have enhanced the pool of better marksmen/women, better strategic thinkers as leaders and the better coaches which really win the matches. The are hard, tough and educated. No need to sandpaper the ball mate or bowl underarm. Their bristles are enough to strike a match on. All we need is oxygen bottles to shoot rimfires in the rarefied air of SA to win.

willow

#71 Postby willow » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:15 pm

GSells wrote:Pss if you do well with a 280 ai please share ??!!

It's a calibre I have been happy with Graham - getting close to shooting out my first barrel - getting up to around 1700-1800 rounds down the tube and the accuracy is still there but I'm chasing the lands and have had to increase powder charge to keep it happy. I figure I'm on track for about 2000 rounds before I get Matt to screw the next barrel on. I'll be sticking with it and I've been buying up as much Norma 280 brass as I can since they've put their prices up significantly. Lately I've just been fireforming using 2209 and Berger 168s and it's still quite accurate.

GSells

#72 Postby GSells » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:33 am

williada wrote:GMan, its a trick to snow the opposition because those in the know are glued to this site. But they don't realize, we Aussies have led them around in circles, up and down gum trees, in and out of fog and now we are going to snow them. We tell them everything on Ozfclass. We hold every SAUM case the buggers want to get hold of and stashes of the magic projectile they thought they had dried up and barrels so fine you could die for. Now international sponsors are rushing us and forgetting their own. Kind of reminds me of outsourcing to China and losing control of destiny. Too late mate its gone. So pressure will be brought to bear on the manufacturers to do more runs of the mighty SAUM case? Again too late, because we have enhanced the pool of better marksmen/women, better strategic thinkers as leaders and the better coaches which really win the matches. The are hard, tough and educated. No need to sandpaper the ball mate or bowl underarm. Their bristles are enough to strike a match on. All we need is oxygen bottles to shoot rimfires in the rarefied air of SA to win.

David , well said ! That’s what I was thinking :lol:

ben_g

#73 Postby ben_g » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:23 am

Have you thought to try RL23??

Also if your dumping it because your not 100% happy then cut it off completely. Turn it into a 284 and get a new barrel for your SAUM

bad_primer

#74 Postby bad_primer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:17 am

Thanks for the load data, I will use that in the coming weeks as I finally get my .280AI running. I’ll fill you in with how I go.

Ackley kid

#75 Postby Ackley kid » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:12 am

Graham
What did your FF 30-06 cases end up measuring when formed . I had a box of Lapua arrive today and the few pieces I plucked measure 2.484-2.485 OAL in parent form . I image should see 2.480 or shorter once formed . Got any numbers ?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”