Coatings for dies to reduce clearances

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

RDavies

Coatings for dies to reduce clearances

#1 Postby RDavies » Thu May 18, 2017 2:17 pm

I have just bought a seated die with micrometre top which looks nice and has good adjustments but the larger than expected clearance causes more bullet run out than my previous Wilson die.
Does anyone have a suggestion on where I could send it to get some sort of coating inside the body and in the stem to add around .001; thickness to each surface as well as maybe improving slipperiness?
It is made of stainless steel I believe.

chrisw91

Re: Coatings for dies to reduce clearances

#2 Postby chrisw91 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:24 pm

my suggestion would be remake that section of the die with the chamber reamer so it matches perfectly with your cases or option 2 slightly more agricultural devcon in the affected areas and run the chamber reamer into it if you really want to keep that die.

BRETT B

#3 Postby BRETT B » Thu May 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Rod you could try getting it Hard Chromed !! We used to get the journals on our crankshafts done on the Drag cars . It is SUPER tough and from memory they can build it up to around 001. Look for a good High End Automotive engineering shop in Sydney or Melbourne and they may be able to help you.
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

Wal86

#4 Postby Wal86 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:37 pm

RDavies
If your looking to reduce your bullet run out, then straight line dies are a must. I'm assuming your micrometre die is a Redding comp seater? With your straight line seater take out the grub screw that locks your seater stem, and use a low grade locktite to stop stem adjusting..make sure the point where your press contacts is flat.. the grub screw loads the side of the stem and seats your pills on the piss... :lol:
My only other suggestion is wilson blanks and run your reamer into them.. Or dig deep into your pocket and send over your cases to Neil Jones you wont be dissapointed.

Hope this helps..

Cheers
Alan

RDavies

#5 Postby RDavies » Thu May 18, 2017 7:43 pm

This is an inline type die, brand new and cost a bunch. If I can't get it built up I will just have to revert back to my faithful Wilson dies, though I will look into a Neil Jones die.
Last edited by RDavies on Fri May 19, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

RDavies

#6 Postby RDavies » Fri May 19, 2017 8:17 am

BRETT B wrote:Rod you could try getting it Hard Chromed !! We used to get the journals on our crankshafts done on the Drag cars . It is SUPER tough and from memory they can build it up to around 001. Look for a good High End Automotive engineering shop in Sydney or Melbourne and they may be able to help you.

Can stainless be chromed? If the chrome coating is .001" thick or a bit more, it could work.

BRETT B

#7 Postby BRETT B » Fri May 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Rod , Yes Stainless can be Hard chromed . Depending on the Engineering shop they can go thicker than .001 but you will have to ring around and ask . Let me know If you cant find anyone over there..
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

6.5x55ai

#8 Postby 6.5x55ai » Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm

My FLSing die for my 6.5AI was made from a blank using the finishing reamer then electroless nickel plated. It works OK. Electroless Nickel can be plated up to 0.1mm. No sure I would want to entrust my expensive die to a radom plating company though. A new body from a blank, as suggested, would be my approach.

Troy Newlon in the States made the blank for me. It was more cost effective than turning up one from scratch.

RDavies

#9 Postby RDavies » Fri May 19, 2017 6:43 pm

I just heard that Luke Ester from ProCal bought a hard chrome set up purely for this purpose so I will see if he can do it.
As per Brett's suggestion I checked headspace with this die and I can get a fair bit turned off the bottom to move the case up into the taper and shoulder to tighten that area up.
Then all I will need to do is get the seater stem metal sprayed and machines, or chrome plated to take up the slop. The seater does match the 180 hybrids exactly so I did want to try to reclaim this die. (Especially considering how much it cost)

willow

#10 Postby willow » Fri May 19, 2017 7:39 pm

RDavies wrote:I just heard that Luke Ester from ProCal bought a hard chrome set up purely for this purpose so I will see if he can do it.
As per Brett's suggestion I checked headspace with this die and I can get a fair bit turned off the bottom to move the case up into the taper and shoulder to tighten that area up.
Then all I will need to do is get the seater stem metal sprayed and machines, or chrome plated to take up the slop. The seater does match the 180 hybrids exactly so I did want to try to reclaim this die. (Especially considering how much it cost)

Microslicking it might be an option.

RDavies

#11 Postby RDavies » Fri May 19, 2017 7:45 pm

willow wrote:
RDavies wrote:I just heard that Luke Ester from ProCal bought a hard chrome set up purely for this purpose so I will see if he can do it.

Microslicking?????

willow

#12 Postby willow » Fri May 19, 2017 7:53 pm

RDavies wrote:
willow wrote:

Microslicking?????

It's a coating offered through qualified cerakoters Rod. Mostly used on rifle bolts to help make them run smoother but can be applied to plenty of things. It does add a very fine layer of additional thickness which you are looking for. Just an idea anyway mate.

BATattack

#13 Postby BATattack » Fri May 19, 2017 8:22 pm

The bigger point is you paid good money for a premium product that isn't up to spec and now you need to spend more money to make it rite. That's the part that sucks!

I recently purchased a Harrels "precision" 7/8 reloading press and when it arrived the ram looked to be run over with a 80 grit liaising belt and there was .015 movement in the ram at the top of the stroke. It went back with a full refund plus postage. Dies are another big area where makers are more than willing to cash in on "competition" and "precision" but 10 minutes of measuring will show you its a waste of money.

Grinds my gears! :-)

RDavies

#14 Postby RDavies » Sat May 20, 2017 8:18 am

BATattack wrote:The bigger point is you paid good money for a premium product that isn't up to spec and now you need to spend more money to make it rite. That's the part that sucks!

I recently purchased a Harrels "precision" 7/8 reloading press and when it arrived the ram looked to be run over with a 80 grit liaising belt and there was .015 movement in the ram at the top of the stroke. It went back with a full refund plus postage. Dies are another big area where makers are more than willing to cash in on "competition" and "precision" but 10 minutes of measuring will show you its a waste of money.

Grinds my gears! :-)

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I sent off an email a week ago outlining the issues but got no response. If it was a $50 die you would shrug you shoulders and say, Oh well you get what you paid for. Unfortunately that is not always the case with $500 dies.

mike H

#15 Postby mike H » Sat May 20, 2017 7:42 pm

It must be annoying to pay good money and not get what you expect,however the discussions re the tolerances asks the question,what level of runout causes a measurable degradation of grouping and ultimately scores?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”