Dialling for spin drift?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: Dialling for spin drift?

#16 Postby AlanF » Wed May 10, 2017 10:03 am

Denis,

In my opinion, trying to allow for spin drift by canting your scope reticle is being too clever and asking for trouble. Better to just keep everything level/vertical, so much simpler to achieve and maintain. Then just wind a few clicks left at the longs as needed. I think DaveMc has a rule of thumb of a 1/8' click for every 100 after 500.

Alan

bartman007

#17 Postby bartman007 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:10 pm

My more simplistic approach is as follows:

1. Zero the rifle at 300 yards.

2. When you get back to 1000 yards wind left 1 MOA to compensate for the spin drift.

* For all other ranges in between, simply approximate this drift

In regards to elevation being slightly higher or lower, that is always relative to where you zeroed your rifle, and is affected by the amount and direction of the wind blowing at the time. I normally write down my elevations at a new range, so that when I go back I can be confident of getting a bull eye at least for the first sighter :-)
###

plumbs7

#18 Postby plumbs7 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:39 pm

Just a pic I had of my rifle in a pseco barrel vice . But it also show my very expensive bit of tie wire that I can move for spin drift the further I go back . With Moa it is just to hard to correct for SD on the fly ! With Milrads it's pretty easy . Something to think about with the upcoming PRS series .

Return to “Equipment & Technical”