Suggestions - Light recoiling cal on a magnum bolt face

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Winston

Suggestions - Light recoiling cal on a magnum bolt face

#1 Postby Winston » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:32 am

G'day folks,

I have a Bat M in 300wsm coming my way courtesy of a forum member here. For the sake of domestic harmony, I will be selling my other target rifles, which leaves me with a conundrum -

What cal can I chamber a magnum bolt face rifle in for shooting shorts and all round in decent conditions?

6.5 saum and wsm are probably too harsh on barrels for my liking. 243wssm? I know the brass let's them down, but it's cheap and plentiful enough that I could prep and sort, plus dies are readily available.

Any other suggestions? Maybe shoot lighter projectiles from the wsm? I have a half decent supply of juggernauts

Cheerio,
Last edited by Winston on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlanF

Re: Suggestions - Light recoiling cal on a magnum bolt face

#2 Postby AlanF » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:43 am

Rod Davies had a very accurate 6.5 WSSM.

Tim N

#3 Postby Tim N » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:10 pm

I have experimented with a short saum, cases were easy to make by running them through a shortened saum die.
Brett B from WA has taken it more seriously getting custom forming dies, so you could do a short 300/7mm/6.5 saum
Or use reduced loads...
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

DenisA

#4 Postby DenisA » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:24 pm

If your happy to shoot 185 Jugs in the WSM, using 2213sc, you will find that combination is insanely accurate, has long nodes, low SD and holds great waterline from 300y - 1000y. The recoil is still really heavy though.

The trouble is that they still drift noticeably more than a 7mm or 6.5mm and therefore in a string of volatile conditions you'll clearly see the disadvantage that you have.................... despite the success you'll enjoy in more uniform conditions..

A 7RSAUM only uses an additional 3-4gn of ar2209 over a .284W. Not interested in running a SAUM right through with a good butt pad? It's not uncommon now.

RDavies

#5 Postby RDavies » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:55 pm

I have 2 x 6.5 WSSMs now. They are very light recoiling for the ballistics, much less than a 284 in recoil, while not much further behind in ballistics. It is simple to neck 243WSSM cases or 25 WSSM cases up, then neck turn to get rid of the thick necks which people criticize about the case. You will end up running around 44gns 2209 powder with 140gn pills or 45gns with 130gn pills.
A standard (cheap) 25 WSSM FLS die will size the neck turned case perfectly, though you will need to run a reamer into a Wilson blank to make a bullet seater.

BRETT B

#6 Postby BRETT B » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:57 pm

Tim , with the limited options of the magnum bolt face Rods 6.5 WSSM would be the ticket!!
Case capacity is around 58 gns of water which puts it on par with a 260AI which I have. It about the perfect case size to run 140 class bullet or you can drop to the 130 and not have to run big pressure and barrel life is still very good. In terms of ballistics it doesn't give up much to a 284 even at 1000 but it works the best 300-800.
A 6mm WSSM will work but its capacity is in the range of a 243AI which are supremely accurate but barrel life is a factor!!
If you did want some MATCH Brass for it I did find a company in America who make 6.5WSSM brass out of Norma 300 WSM cases. It is not cheap but I believe they would probably go 30-40 reloads in 6.5mm as my 7mm Short WSSM have gone over 30 so far and still the cases hold primers well. The 6.5WSSM i think would be the best option in your situation if you want a high accuracy short to mid range case .
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”