BARREL TUNERS

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Range Rector

BARREL TUNERS

#1 Postby Range Rector » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:01 am

Who can tell me what is the best weight for a barrel tuner on a MV barrel.
Also, diameter and length.

Thanks

plumbs7

Re: BARREL TUNERS

#2 Postby plumbs7 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:02 am

Are u talking about mass weight dampeners or tuners ?

Range Rector

#3 Postby Range Rector » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:53 am

You can give me an answer for both if you like.

Brad Y

#4 Postby Brad Y » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Google varmint al, purdy prescription, bukys tuners and search accurateshooter. You will find lots of information on tuners generally and might help.

plumbs7

#5 Postby plumbs7 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:03 pm

Ok I'll be be brave ! I'll deal with mass weight dampeners first ! The answer is more relative to the profile of the barrel . Eg not much use putting 150 grams on a straight open profile barrel , With the extra thickness comes the extra weight! The job of a mass weight dampeners is to slow down and absorb shock of Mode 1 harmonics and to some extent mode 2 and 3 vibrations . To answer your question, it's bit of trial and error . I don't use them all the time but have used them on my 7/08 Ai and am having one cut on my 280 Ai . The weight is about 750 grams and 2" Dia and about 3" long .

Believe me it's the mother of all knobs and I cop a fair bit of friendly banter , saying that I must be compensating for other appendages! :shock:
I'm just under weight with a 30" barrel
With a thinner profile my thinking that you would be able to get away with 300 grams . At the end of the day, any knob on your barrel is a good thing for tuning ! You can tune with it on as it's fixed.
Tuners are about the same but you maybe able to get away with less weight ! But tune the load before adding the tuner , as you could get totally lost ! Generally start flush with the muzzle.
I have a Davies tuner on my .308 hunting rifle , M v profile .

Photo of the Davies tuner which has made the barrel shoot better ! The black things are o rings ! They were something I was trialling to tame reflected vibrations. Just don't worry about that unless you want more friendly banter . :lol:

I'll wait now for the incoming lol! Maybe the true geniuses can comet ?
Regards Graham.

Old Trev-39

#6 Postby Old Trev-39 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:43 pm

I have found that a Purdy tune system made out of aluminium and a Limbsaver vibration dampener immediately behind the Purdy tune works for me on all my rifles.
Cheers,
Trevor.

!Peter!

#7 Postby !Peter! » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:04 pm

Brad Y wrote:Google varmint al, purdy prescription, bukys tuners and search accurateshooter. You will find lots of information on tuners generally and might help.

Another good source is Harold Vaughn who documented some good theory and experiments on barrel vibration in his book Rifle Accuracy Facts.

plumbs7 wrote:The job of a mass weight dampeners is to slow down and absorb shock of Mode 1 harmonics and to some extent mode 2 and 3 vibrations .

Graham, are your referring to the harmonic modes as shown in Varmint Al's site? http://www.varmintal.com/amode.htm

Old Trev-39 wrote:I have found that a Purdy tune system made out of aluminium and a Limbsaver vibration dampener immediately behind the Purdy tune works for me on all my rifles.

Trevor, which harmonic did you find worked best.

Regards
Peter

plumbs7

#8 Postby plumbs7 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:31 am

Yes Peter .am I correct? :D

!Peter!

#9 Postby !Peter! » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:13 am

Depends which periodic motion in alternately opposite directions you are interested in :wink:

plumbs7

#10 Postby plumbs7 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:27 pm

!Peter! wrote:Depends which periodic motion in alternately opposite directions you are interested in :wink:

Mmm, sounds interesting Peter . Care to explain as I believe you have a better understanding? Please? :idea:

Old Trev-39

#11 Postby Old Trev-39 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:05 pm

I have found that the 19th. and 21st. harmonic work for me. Have the E.C. diameter around .8 to .9 inch mark.
Cheers,
Trevor.

!Peter!

#12 Postby !Peter! » Wed May 03, 2017 12:16 pm

plumbs7 wrote:
!Peter! wrote:Depends which periodic motion in alternately opposite directions you are interested in :wink:

Mmm, sounds interesting Peter . Care to explain as I believe you have a better understanding? Please? :idea:

Well I've got you bluffed!!

Old Trev-39 wrote:I have found that the 19th. and 21st. harmonic work for me. Have the E.C. diameter around .8 to .9 inch mark.
Cheers,
Trevor.

Thanks Trevor.

plumbs7

#13 Postby plumbs7 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:07 pm

!Peter! wrote:
plumbs7 wrote:

Well I've got you bluffed!!

Old Trev-39 wrote:I have found that the 19th. and 21st. harmonic work for me. Have the E.C. diameter around .8 to .9 inch mark.
Cheers,
Trevor.

Thanks Trevor.

Hahha, that is what happens when a plumber tries to be knowledgeable! :lol:

pgcpty

#14 Postby pgcpty » Fri May 05, 2017 1:54 pm

In my view Williada is the leading authority in this country on Tuners.

If you read all his comments in the link below you will have all the info necessary to get a handle on the topic

pgcpty

PS A more tightly focussed link to Williada's Tuner writtings is shown below

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=tuners&author_id=661
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement!

Return to “Equipment & Technical”