elivation drama

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

johnk

Re: elivation drama

#16 Postby johnk » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Sounds like it's what Peter suggested - It's touching forward - but you need to check that that is the issue, and not that you have a bent rail. That could be tricky, because you have three potential points where the rail could be interfering - the recoil lug, the adapter & the barrel.

I'd be inclined to drop the rail off & run a straight edge across the top of the action & the bottom of the rail for good measure to check the alignment of both. If the forward bits are proud of the action, you'll need to grind or machine a relief on the bottom of the rail, or have somebody do if for you. If the rail is bent..........?

Razer

#17 Postby Razer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:25 pm

The bend in the rail is obvious in the photo, starts to curl near the adaptor, so much so that you seem to have the front rings higher than the rear! :shock:
Cannot tell from photo but take the rail off and if it is aluminium it should be possible to straighten it.
Run a straight edge along the action as the adaptor is possibly higher than the action as Matt suggests ( it appears to be).
If this is the case then you need to mark where the adaptor starts in contact with the rail and machine, file down from that point to the front end of the rail so that it clears the adaptor with slight clearance.
If you are not confident in doing this suggest you get someone to do so and get it fitted properly.

Pommy Chris

#18 Postby Pommy Chris » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Muzza wrote:Hi thank you all for comments. I think i have found the problrm.
I put a straight edge over the rail and it has a bow in it. Dips down .025" where it screw down at the front of the action which makes the front kick up. So i am practicality running 0moa rail.

Would this be caused by me not not fitting a proper omark rail correctly or can i get it machined.

That is going to be putting stresses on the action you dont want. I had an Omark a while ago, I recently sold it, I blamed my scope for elevation shots I was getting at the time. The new owner had it bedded to a new stock and it was noted that fitting the rail lifted the action off the bedding ie gave the action lift issues, the problem was the same as yours. My issues back when I was shooting it (I think, my hypothesis) was that as the action heated up the rail expanded and my shots went lower ie 6, 6 ,6 ,5, 5 wind up 6... We worked on the rail and now it shoots perfectly, you need to do the same or the gun will never shoot.
Chris

Return to “Equipment & Technical”