Seb or Farley?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Jase PTRC

Re: Seb or Farley?

#16 Postby Jase PTRC » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:53 pm

The Seb Mini also only has one post, it is solid as a rock when locked. I like the fact you can leave it loose to align the top bag with your stock and the target and lock it when you are happy. A Neo doesn't have that luxury but has slightly more elevation adjust-ability so i guess there are trade offs in every design.

jasmay

#17 Postby jasmay » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:42 pm

Singo85 wrote:Alan,
I purcahsed a first Gen Seb about 3 years ago and then sent it to Seb for overhaul and came back better than new.

However I purchased another one which needed the same work....was sloppy and the teflon plates were worn this time I was advised Seb was unable to assist due to changing tooling etc

Read into as you like about servicing / repairs.

I did offer to do what I could locally Michael, as the AU Seb rep I have rebuilt/serviced & repaired a number of units that had not been well cared for, or were simply old and needed a spruce up.

jasmay

#18 Postby jasmay » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:14 pm

At the risk of sounding bias, here is my 2 bob.

Before I met Seb or even considered his gear I was building my own carbon fibre bi-pods and had a Farely (left hand) rest.

My bi-pod took me to several wins, and both gold and silver at the worlds, plus an 11th placing overall, it worked quite well.

I helped Seb out of a sticky situation during the US nationals and also helped his US rep get his head into F-Class for the first time during a live comp. Both Seb and Ernie were very grateful.

Seb being the guy he is, always willing to help where he can, sent me a NEO and a joypod as a show of gratitude for what I had done for them.

It took a year or so after that of him asking me to use his stuff, and be a rep before I really gave his stuff a go, and all I can say is, I don't know why I waited so long, the joypod is an amazing bit of kit, as are the NEO, MAX and now the MINI. I have never had an issue that has been unable to be resolved and being in Indo the help is quick usually.

The NEO, I find is much more adjustable for feel than the farely I had, and the best part about it is it is quickly and easily adaptable to a variety of stock shapes. Not that it matters for fclass, but the NEO also has more lateral travel which makes it better for BR style comps, particularly rim fire where traversing a large number of targets quickly is beneficial.

The modular design allows for quick configuration changes depending on your leg position preference, and also allows for a counterweight system to give an even smoother operation and finer on target adjustment.

And lastly, the NEO is strong, the 2 post design stands up to some serious weight and is suitable for heavy 25kg plus rifles if you are shooting "heavy gun". A few people got to see SEB demo its strength with me standing on the bag and him using 1 finger to lift my entire weight, for those that don't know me, I am a shade over 100kg's. Anyone with a farely want to donate it for a similar "torture test" ? 8)

Given the price point between a farely and a NEO... well I always like to save a few bucks....

All that said, I am the rep, so I do certainly sound bias

Wal86

#19 Postby Wal86 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:34 pm

Jasmay

I appreciate your response, this is potentially a $2000 investment and i want to know which product is the best for my money....($$$, quality, longevity, serviceability, user friendly etc.)

This is why im asking the shooters who use these rests?

Cheers

Alan

DenisA

#20 Postby DenisA » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Matt P wrote:Farley for me, wouldn't consider a SEB.
Matt P

Matty, is it that your a big fan of the Farley or have you found issues with the SEB?

Brad Y

#21 Postby Brad Y » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:25 pm

I put a Farley top on a Caldwell fire control as a cheap upgrade on the Caldwell and it's done brilliantly. However after playing with a mini the other week I know what my next pocket money is being spent on....

Ivo.M

#22 Postby Ivo.M » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm currently chasing a Seb mini. I'd appreciate any help.

willow

#23 Postby willow » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:52 am

Ivo.M wrote:I'm currently chasing a Seb mini. I'd appreciate any help.

I was on a waiting list for one since late Feb but haven't heard anything and don't really need it now, you can jump my spot in the queue if you want.

Ivo.M

#24 Postby Ivo.M » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:27 am

Who were you ordering it through mate? Jason Maynard?

willow

#25 Postby willow » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Ivo.M wrote:Who were you ordering it through mate? Jason Maynard?

Jason Mayers mate.

JasonR

#26 Postby JasonR » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:44 pm

Personally I doubt you will be disappointed with either the SEB or Farley, I have used a Farley for about 4 years for bench and a little F Class with zero issues. I purchased a SEB through Jasmay 12 months ago, service was excellent, answered my calls and emails promptly and I had it earlier than was told. Boils down to personal preference I think.

Cheers Jason

Ivo.M

#27 Postby Ivo.M » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Can anyone advise if the know of a SEB rest for sale?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”