Barnard action questions

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

Barnard action questions

#1 Postby Brad Y » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:28 am

Hi all, after looking around for a while for a magnum action, I couldn't get what I wanted so have purchased a magnum boltface Barnard P action. I'm going to admit I haven't been a huge fan of barnards for cosmetic reasons but I'm not going to argue their effectiveness. I used one a couple of weekends ago and it was fine and very accurate.

So my questions are- with the magnum boltface is it possible to change the extractor to 308 and use my 284 shehane as well for short ranges or will the magnum boltface only work with magnum extractor and SAUM cases that I plan on using it for?

And also is the vee block the easiest and best arrangement for bedding?

bobeager

Re: Barnard action questions

#2 Postby bobeager » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:51 am

I am having a real go at the 500 metre Fly Shooting circuit this year, and my Barnard Dual Port PC action is holding it's own against many of the "chrome" US custom actions, and yes, it is Vee Block Bedded. As an aside, the small amount of metal that was removed for the extra port, enabled me to "sneak" into Light Gun Class.

pjifl

#3 Postby pjifl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:11 am

My experience with Barnards using the V block and single stud bedding system leads me to think it is the system of choice. I do think the stud should be a very close fit.
At first I was a bit skeptical and have bedded many rifles in the past but now believe none shot any better than a properly done Al V block.
If there is a fault, it is that the action MUST be removed and cleaned immediately after rain but that is really true of others.

Peter Smith.

Brad Y

#4 Postby Brad Y » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:36 am

Thanks gents. Any experience changing extractors from mag bolt in a saum mode to 308 extractor to suit a 308/284/6br ?

ajvanwyk

#5 Postby ajvanwyk » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Brad,

I don't heave experience on the transition specifically but have done a bit of research on the topic. I was fortunate to visit the Barnard factory in Auckland late last year and one of the key questions I was considering at that stage was the notion of a switch barrel system, going from my SAUM to a 6 Dasher or some other variable. The answer I received was that by buying an additional .308 bolt I could easily transition from the SAUM to the other caliber by changing the barrel and the bolt to suit. From memory (and please don't quote me on this) the costs were manageable, I think around the $1,000 mark for the additional bolt. I guess on balance, the odd grand would not be the biggest barrier as compared to getting another stock/action for the new caliber. There are certainly many out there that seem to do very well with a switch barrel system.

Albert
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

bobeager

#6 Postby bobeager » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:34 pm

You should not need a complete bolt. I have a switch barrel in 6mm Dasher / .223 Rem, and I only needed an additional BOLT BODY as the firing pin / spring etc was interchangeable. Ask Matt P, he is the expert.
PS: I used to have only a 308 bolt, and changed the extractors, but it is a real "P in the A".

Brad Y

#7 Postby Brad Y » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:55 pm

Thanks guys, looks like another bolt body is going to be the go. Will have one ordered when the barrels get chambered up.

Matt P

#8 Postby Matt P » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi Brad
Simply fit a 308 extractor to the magnum bolt and it will extract 308 bolt face cases. You can also buy a bolt body and swap the firing pin assemblies between the two.
As stated above the v-block system is the way to go. Let me know if I can help, we have extractors in stock and can supply bolts and bodies in good time, may even have them in stock.
Regards
Matt P

Julian D

#9 Postby Julian D » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi Brad
I rang Matt P on a Friday about a Mag. bolt & had it in my hot little hands the following Wednesday, & that was to NQ .
Doesn't get much easier than that.

Brad Y

#10 Postby Brad Y » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:35 pm

Thanks Julian, yes I understand they are quite easy to get ahold of. Just waiting on barrels now and I will get it all set up.

Brad Y

#11 Postby Brad Y » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:36 pm

And cheers too Matt- out of interest how long does it take to change extractors?

bobeager

#12 Postby bobeager » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:44 pm

I can tell you it depends on whether or not you lose any of the fussy little parts on the floor. Seriously, I found easier to do with the bolt clamped in a small "desk' mounted vice with plastic jaws, which frees up both hands for the operation.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”