Current Legal Wet Weather Accessories

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: Current Legal Wet Weather Accessories

#16 Postby AlanF » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:30 pm

I think the wet weather protection rules are inadequate. Firstly they don't fully address safety issues, and secondly they are at best vague and confusing.

Why not allow anything that shelters rifle and ammunition only? (along with a size limit and the usual provisos with attachment to the rifle, visibility for inspection etc.) This could help TR as well, keeping eagle eyes etc. dry.

johnk

#17 Postby johnk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:31 pm

Because it isn't in the rules, or is contrary to the rules. Back in June 2016 when this last came up, I suggested that F class shooters brief NRAA about their concerns. I have no indication that anybody took up on the suggestion & the NRAA F class delegate that attends Connaught will not have any guidance or recommendation.

I believe that careful consideration needs to be given to (relatively) recent determinations by the NRAA concerning what provision for wet weather might be currently acceptable and the method to achieve more liberal adjudications (rule changes?) in the future.

Initial attention needs to be given to the basis of the most recent decision (Denis’s pedestal hoop) and to the SSRs themselves. In that instance, NRAA considered that SSRs for FO are largely consistent with ICFRA FO rules and that FO shooters were committed to participation at international level. Therefore their determination took into account the opinion of ICFRA national rule delegates & the SSR provisions. The former expressed varying views, but tended to the negative whilst the SSRs do not yet have separate provisions for FO & FS disciplines, defaulting to the TR limitation of a cover for fore end & action, thus the negative outcome.

Next, we need to consider that ICFRA rule changes are usually effected at the Championships & effective for the following four year(ish) period. Changes cannot be brought into effect except in the 18 months following the Championship, that is, no rule change will now occur for the next event.

Therefore, if there is a strong consensus that better protection than a one metre square piece of clear material is required, then I believe that all states should be approached by their F class shooters (F Class Associations?) to represent a form of “tent” should be permitted in F class & that view being accepted by NRAA, it should be represented to the ICFRA Council by NRAA for consideration at the 2017 championship. However, there is little time remaining to achieve this, so it is imperative that you all get the ball rolling in your state.

Bear in mind that using the argument of safety or duty of care is not necessarily a strong one, as both sets of rules place the onus on the competitor to use safe equipment & ammunition. I refer you to ICFRA rules F1.6.5, F1.7 & F1.8 particularly & SSRs rule 2.1.11. It could readily be argued that loading to a level that was safe in dry conditions only or not providing for wet weather ammunition is not compliant with the onus of the shooter to act in a safe manner.

Meantime, anything that you might consider reasonable for use in wet weather at a prize meeting should be tested by representing it through your state association to the NRAA Rules Director for an adjudication.

Check out the ICFRA rules here: http://www.icfra.com/page5.htm and the SSRs here: http://www.nraa.com.au/new-ssrs-version ... -may-2016/

AlanF

#18 Postby AlanF » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Yes John - now that you mention it, I vaguely remember that post :oops: . Well, its never too late to do these things. I intend to make a submission to the VRA for their next council meeting.

bsouthernau

#19 Postby bsouthernau » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:35 am

GrahamW wrote:
johnk wrote:I think if this isn't acceptable I'll simply stay home on wet days.

:?

Good tactic. Much more fun than lying down in the rain.

bartman007

#20 Postby bartman007 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:59 pm

GrahamW wrote:

johnk wrote:
I think if this isn't acceptable I'll simply stay home on wet days.

:?

Good tactic. Much more fun than lying down in the rain.

As I've had it said to me jokingly in the past, "suck it up princess" :lol:

I always throw a few bath towels in the car for such occasions :idea:
###

Return to “Equipment & Technical”