help with scope rail selection

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

MJH

help with scope rail selection

#1 Postby MJH » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi All,
Being a total newcomer to F class shooting I need a bit of help trying to workout what moa scope rail I need to purchase.
I have just taken delivery of a savage model 12 f/tr in .308. Through necessity (read lack of funds) I will have to use my Meopta meopro 6-18 X 50 scope which has a total of 36 moa movement.
Shooting 150grain-155grain projectiles I would like to zero at 100yds (for future load development), the range I shoot at has a maximum distance of 600yds although I would like to be able to stretch that if the opportunity arises.
When I picked up the rifle I asked the guy serving me and his unconvincing reply was "20moa should be ok".
I need to get this right first time hence this post.
Thanks
Max

johnk

Re: help with scope rail selection

#2 Postby johnk » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:46 pm

Theory & practice don't necessarily correlate.

Theory says you'll need 11 MOA or so from 100-600 & maybe 30MOA from 100-1000.

Practice says that you might well find that your scope doesn't respond to windage adjustments when you have the scope towards maximum elevation, and that's the very distance that it's of utmost performance for everything to work OK.
    Practice says that barrels aren't necessarily aligned with actions & neither are scope rail mounting holes an many commercial actions (particularly those with a brand commencing with Re).
    Practice says that barrels sometimes shoot with an elevation that doesn't correspond with mathematical expectations. For examples, likely because of the uniqueness of the proprietary bedding, my Millennium actions need a full 10 MOA more lean on rails to achieve the purpose I want.
I suggest that in the first instance, you buy yourself a standard Weaver rail for your action & a set of Burris signature Zee rings with the inserts that permit you to adjust the windage & elevation variables. I believe that will be the least expensive way to work out your ultimate needs (which I expect will also include buying a scope with more generous elevation.)

Good luck, John

Razer

#3 Postby Razer » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Why a 100yd zero? The shortest range you will be shooting is 300yds.A 300yd zero will give you the extra elevation that you lose between 100 and 300. About 6 Moa from my rusty mind .
This will make a big difference when you get to longer ranges as you don't need to be at the elevation limit of the scope as you will then have no windage to work with, and the further out you shoot the more windage is usually needed!!
For my rifles I have 20 Moa rails but am not restricted by my scope. The most elevation you would probably use at 600 is 10moa up from a 300 zero, but that extra 6moa gain is crucial for your scope. You could go for one with a greater Moa than 20, but I doubt you would get an off the shelf one which means extra dollars.
As for future load development, you don't really need a 100yd zero. Just an aiming mark and with the rifle set on a 300yd zero,
your group will still form on paper, albeit lower down. When shooting a group to tune a rifle it is often better to do it this way as you are not shooting you reference point out. Ray.
I see johnK has posted an excellent alternative. Burris zigzee rings are very good and I have used them with a flat Weaver rail. You can also centre your scope for windage with them just in case the rail is not mounted exact. With the flat rail, you need the high mounts which are more suited to prone shooting.

DenisA

#4 Postby DenisA » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:13 pm

I have 5 Savages. I've run .223R, 6BR, .284W, .308w, .300wsm. I have 20MOA Ken Farrell rails on all of them with Ken Farrell non bushing rings. I zero all my rifles at 100y. With a NF NXS 12 - 42 they all easily zero at 100y and adjust up to 1000y. Except for the .223R, I've never tried that at 1000y.

johnk

#5 Postby johnk » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Denis, the NSX has the best part of 10 MOA better elevation, and like all Nightforces, all of it us usable.

DenisA

#6 Postby DenisA » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:46 pm

Thanks John, I wasn't sure of the adjustment comparison.

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:55 pm

I agree entirely with John K's advice (for a change :D ). The zee rings will allow you to overcome any unpleasant surprises and make the most of the limited adjustment on your current scope. However if you expect to upgrade to a more F-Class capable scope soon, then you'll probably be getting one with a 30mm tube and will need new rings for it.

johnk

#8 Postby johnk » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:20 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MJH

#9 Postby MJH » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:07 pm

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out by offering very sound advice.
I will follows John's advice with the Burris rings and Razer's with the 300yd zero.
It all seems so obvious after someone has given you the correct information.
Thanks again
Max

Return to “Equipment & Technical”