wilson reloading gear

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

pigdog

wilson reloading gear

#1 Postby pigdog » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:42 am

So I don't have any reloading gear and was intending to get one of the lee reloading kits or something similar to start up this was pretty straightforward. I bought a used 6.5x47L which comes with I believe are Wilson neck sizing dies and Wilson bullet seater. I figured since this seems to be quality equipment I might as well use it right however I want to clarify a few things first. The Wilson dies need an arbor press to be used is that correct? Iam also led to believe that after a certain amount of shots I will need to either full length size or body/shoulder bump the cases to fit in the chamber properly. So I will need a die to either full length size or shoulder/body size. I think this is correct but Wilson don't make dies to do this? and if they did I wouldn't be able to use a arbor press to do the full length sizing. This leads me to believe that if I want to use the Wilson dies and do full body sizing with another brand of die I will need also a normal press is that correct? So im gunna need 2 presses!!!! man this is getting expensive can anyone make recommendations on which arbor and standard press I should look for? and also what brand/type of die would you recommend to go with that press to do the full length or body/shoulder size? I plan to just use the Wilson neck sizer the majority of the time then full resize or whatever as needed.

thanks

!Peter!

Re: wilson reloading gear

#2 Postby !Peter! » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi pigdog,
Yes Wilson dies require an arbor press.
You will eventually need to full length size which will require a normal press.
There are some presses on the market which can do both.

Personally, I full length size using redding competition shell holders which allow me to control how much I size. I use a lee classic cast press as I preferred the way it dealt with the spent primers.

Peter

6.5x55ai

#3 Postby 6.5x55ai » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:30 pm

I do most of my reloading now using Wilson dies and that includes a 6.5x47L. Still have several sets of Redding competition dies but prefer the Wilson so have gradually moved over to in-line stuff. I use a K&M arbor press with force indicator with the Wilson dies.

You can do the Wilson decapping and neck sizing without a press using a plastic headed hammer but whilst functional it is a bit crude. I don't think I would want to do bullet seating with a soft head hammer though! To get going though, for seating, you could use a drill press as a temporary arbor press.

Wilson now also produce standard press screw in dies including a bushing full length sizing die - but it is very expensive.
I do all my FLSing using the Redding Body dies from my competition die sets, then neck size with the Wilson.You can buy the body dies on their own ie not in a set, to keep the cost down.

You will need a standard press for the standard dies - I have a 1973 RCBS press, still doing great service. Lots of opinions generally come out on "best" presses. You could be completely happy with a Lee cast iron although I am not a great fan of Lee stuff myself even though I have been playing with their collet dies in 223R.

Check what sizing bush/bushes came with your neck sizing die. To optimise neck tension you may find you need a range of bushes.
Last edited by 6.5x55ai on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6.5x55ai

#4 Postby 6.5x55ai » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Have Redding comp shell holders also, but only in 308 family. Now prefer appropriate sized shims from Skip's shim set under the die lock ring to fine tune amount of FLSing.

bobeager

#5 Postby bobeager » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:37 pm

I recently purchased a Wilson 7/8 Full Length Bushing Die for .223 Rem from ProCal ( call Luke, site sponsor)

I am very impressed by the quality of this die which is made from stainless steel and I don't believe it is expensive compared to Redding. Just make sure that you use only Wilson brand bushings as they are an exact fit for the die (Redding bushes did not work as well).

Ditto what others have said re "arbor presses" .. a drill press with a small block of wood clamped where the drill is fitted will work just fine. As for a 7/8 type press shop around the forum, you might pick up a good second hand one.

pigdog

#6 Postby pigdog » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:30 pm

thanks guys you have confirmed what I thought, I might put a post up soon enough in the WTB section to see if I can get this stuff off someone out there. Costs of my "precision" project are blowing out and the wife is watching.

Peter L

#7 Postby Peter L » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:20 am

You can get a Redding body die for $70ish and a beer bottle capper for $30ish instead of an arbor press!

pigdog

#8 Postby pigdog » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:54 am

Beer bottle capper? Where do you get those from like a home brew shop or something? What are you guys thoughts on the redding body die vs the fl redding die when doing the occasional resize to get cartridges into the chamber again.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”