Barrel Damage

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bolster55

Barrel Damage

#1 Postby bolster55 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:07 pm

PICT0022.JPG
PICT0021.JPG
PICT0019.JPG
PICT0013.JPG
PICT0012.JPG

Hello All,
After some consideration I have decided to post some details and photos in a separate thread to where I started. Some people have looked
at these photos and feel that the damage was not caused by bad cleaning practice.
Below is a copy of the text on another thread.

The reason I ask is that I have a barrel that went to the gunsmith to be fitted to a different action. The gunsmith rang me and said that barrel is cactus!
I drive over and inspected the barrel, and yes it looks, exactly like the pics earlier except...... the grooves (vines)are not on the lands but in the grooves!
He chambered a barrel, of same manufacture, for another action that has some of the grooves in the barrel and it has not fired a shot!
The gunsmith has chambered some 8-10 barrels for me of different make and not one of them has this "fault"?
All this happened yesterday.
A member at our club has a borescope with photographic ability, it will come to good use.
Next I will get tests done on the barrel material, being in that field you have contacts, and a little knowhow!

I do not use bronze brushes.
I use nylon at infrequent occasions.
I use Bore Tech Eliminator.
I use Iosso paste at about 200 to 300 round intervals.
My barrel has fired 1077 rounds.
The barrel was cleaned after each weekly shoot or daily at a prize meet.
I guarantee that the cleaning rods are free rotating and are carbon fibre.
I do not use steel jags.
I use an Acetyl bore guide.
Visually I would say that the damage is caused by a brush, nylon could do that, but why this make of barrel and not my other barrels?
Why this barrel when predominantly I use jags and patches on all my barrels?
You may be right Peter, I may not be looking at the damage correctly because with my eyes the damage is not on the lands but in the grooves, is that possible or misinterpreted on my behalf?
I hope other people can shed some light on what causes damage like this as I have an unfired barrel with similar lines in it, although not as many, but as can be seen from the pics the line run parallel with the rifling and has not damaged the lands, only the grooves.

bolster55

Re: Barrel Damage

#2 Postby bolster55 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:10 pm

PICT0012.JPG
PICT0013.JPG
PICT0019.JPG
PICT0020.JPG
PICT0021.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bolster55

#3 Postby bolster55 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:11 pm

Sorry about the way the pics got posted, my fault.

bolster55

#4 Postby bolster55 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:13 pm

New1.JPG
New2.JPG
New3.JPG
New4.JPG

These are photos of the new, unfired barrel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pommy Chris

#5 Postby Pommy Chris » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:23 pm

Bore scopes magnify a LOT and things look a lot worse than they are. Does the barrel still shoot? I have seen barrels they look like a rusty old pipe X ringing. Dont change it if it is working, the marks dont look bad to be..
Chris

Frank Green

#6 Postby Frank Green » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:16 am

What Pommy Chris just wrote.....yes the bore scopes magnify around 20x (also depends on the quality and type of scope) of what the eye can see.

If the barrel is shooting don't sweat it. If the grooves are a little liney looking the lay of the finish is in the direction of the bullet travel and normally doesn't hurt anything.

I'd like to see a cut off piece of you have one?

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

bolster55

#7 Postby bolster55 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:23 am

Hi Chris and Frank,
It throws flyers, got me a badge at the Queensland Queens but wasn't convincing. It wasn't that I shot well more of others shooting worse.

Pommy Chris

#8 Postby Pommy Chris » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:14 am

bolster55 wrote:Hi Chris and Frank,
It throws flyers, got me a badge at the Queensland Queens but wasn't convincing. It wasn't that I shot well more of others shooting worse.

Flyers can mean many thing, powder load, maybe you are on the edge of your node? Dont just assume it is the barrel.. What type of barrel is it anyway?
Chris

shooter mcreid

#9 Postby shooter mcreid » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:30 am

Hey bolster55, In my experience the group will grow with a damaged/destroyed/worn out barrel, not just the occasional flyer. I guess you could say that the barrel isn't a common denominator if you are getting 1 or 2 flyers in a string. It would have to be something individual to the flyers like the things that chris mentioned or maybe even technique on those shots. So has the group grown and how often are you getting flyers?
Not that its needed but to back up what the rest have said, one of the best 308s I had looked like a war had been fought in it.

bolster55

#10 Postby bolster55 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:58 pm

It was difficult to get 60's let alone X's and got worse. I put a new barrel on and 2 weeks ago shot 60/10 and 60/9 at 500 yards, that was not possible with the previous barrel.

Frank Green

#11 Postby Frank Green » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:54 pm

Double check the crown for any damage also. Any damage here will cause problems as well.

I won't give names but about a year or two ago a Benchrest Hall of Fame shooter and he also just recently won a very big match here as well. Called me up and said he was sending me a barrel for me to look at. Said he wasn't looking for a replacement. Told me he wrecked it using Iosso paste. He actually took a tear/chuck out of one side of the land just in front of the throat and also another land had a gouge/tear running down most of the length of the bore. Just wanted me to see what he had done. I still have the barrel in my office.

Later, Frank

plumbs7

#12 Postby plumbs7 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 am

Losso paste using a nylon brush? If that is the case that would most likely be the cause ! Ask eacomeat! There's an old thread on here where extensive testing was done with bronze and nylon brushes by Dave Mac from memory? Have a look at that one if you can find it ? Called the "death of a good barrel "

David B

#13 Postby David B » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:25 am

If the barrel is unfired it can't be cleaning, is the manufacturer aware and what have they done to correct the situation ?

bolster55

#14 Postby bolster55 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:31 am

So far, talk!

shooter mcreid

#15 Postby shooter mcreid » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:09 pm

I may have misunderstood but i thought your concerns with the rechambered barrel that has fired 1000 rounds not the new barrel that has not fired any?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”