Barrel Damage

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

David B

Re: Barrel Damage

#16 Postby David B » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:55 pm

Think you have, both sets of photos show the same marks in the groove.

bolster55

#17 Postby bolster55 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:32 pm

My concerns were with the barrel that had fired 1000rnds, but when you pick up a new barrel of same make and has similar grooves without firing a shot, I'm sure you would be concerned too. What will the new barrel look like after say 500rnds?

macguru

#18 Postby macguru » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:36 pm

None of this post makes any sense to me... barrels can have track marks from bad cutting of the rifling (most savage barrels ?) but sometimes they still shoot well. The temper of the steel is a bigger factor.

BUT I dont believe copper brushes or a bit of paste can do much harm, unless there is some steel in there like tony's stainless media shot out at 2000fps. maybe if you shot the rifle with borepaste in the grooves ?
id quod est

shooter mcreid

#19 Postby shooter mcreid » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:53 pm

do you have any pics of the older barrel when it was new?
I would suggest the next step would be to privately ask the seller of the barrel to contact manufacturer for comment. Then re-evaluate the situation after that

bolster55

#20 Postby bolster55 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:42 pm

No I don't, one doesn't expect this to happen.

I am in the process of doing that, I wrongly assumed that the barrels came from the dealer, 7mm, but I'm told by the dealer they did not. I sincerely apologise for my stuff up.

Old Trev-39

#21 Postby Old Trev-39 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:15 pm

I was horrified when I looked down a new barrel with my bore scope after I bought myself one(borescope).Train lines all the way. Every new barrel I have looked at since is the same. I would not be worried unless it does not shoot. Both my 6.5 Kriegers and 7mm. Bartlein looked very train liney but the 3 of them shoot.
Cheers,
Trevor.

Barry Davies

#22 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:15 am

Ah, The beauty of Borescopes

Frank Green

#23 Postby Frank Green » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:39 am

bolster55 wrote:So far, talk!

What does this mean? I've been in communication with you as soon as I seen the post but wasn't contacted directly. I stumbled on the post purely by accident. I don't always log into the forum and or go on to it everyday. So I don't feel it's fair for you to say "So far, talk!" I responded as quickly as possible.

"If the barrel is unfired it can't be cleaning, is the manufacturer aware and what have they done to correct the situation ?"

I've asked questions as well as I've asked for s/n's if known and also if there are any cut off pieces that can be sent to me so I can look at them directly vs. just looking at pictures on line.

It's interesting that the one barrel had around 1k rounds fired thru it and it seem to be shooting o.k. and then the lines appeared and or started having accuracy issues.

I looked up the orders based on the s/n's that we're giving to me today. They are different heat lots on the steel so I can rule out the steel and also they we're made in different calibers at different times. Two different calibers so two different tools etc...the same tool was not used to make both barrels regardless. s/n 70993 is a 6.5mm and made in Jan. 2016. S/N 75688 was made in April 2016 and is a 6mm.

Let me know if you can send a cut off piece back. Having a piece in front of me will help me immensely to see what you are seeing.

Thanks, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

bolster55

#24 Postby bolster55 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:55 am

Morning Frank,
So far I have kept this to private messages and kept many peoples names off the forum to respect their privacy, and I'm not interested in attacking people or products.
So far, talk, means exactly that, no more, if you think that is offensive to you it is something that I cannot defend.
You are wrong in saying that the lines, at 1k, appeared. I do not know when the lines appeared, if you read an earlier post it was the gunsmith that contacted me and stated that the barrel is not worth spending money on to re chamber onto a different action.
Accuracy wise, ask the moderator what this barrel shot like at the Rosedale shoot, out to 1000 yds, just recently compared to the same shoot the year before, shooting a 223Rem!
I will now be looking at getting an independent evaluation of the barrel, If you want to put the conversations and any outcomes public it will still only cost me 1 barrel and may tell me that I am cleaning correctly incorrectly or a manufacturing fault, but the outcome will not affect me except, as stated before, 1 barrel.
If you, after reading this, you tell me to "go jump", so be it.
Regards
Phil Jonker

jasmay

#25 Postby jasmay » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:39 am

Well, this has turned into a really confusing thread & it would seem taking this back to being private and dealing direct, perhaps with a moderator would be ideal.

AlanF

#26 Postby AlanF » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Phil,

I need to point out that a forum discussion is a bad way of dealing with this sort of issue. Far better to work things out privately with gunsmith and barrel supplier. Some barrel makers are known to be very reluctant to address problems (perceived or otherwise) with their products but I've had personal experience with Bartlein and importer 7mm.com and gunsmith Matt Paroz where they've actually given the shooter the benefit of the doubt and replaced the product 100%. A forum discussion just stirs things up, with all manner of comments, both informed and uninformed.

I'm now going to lock this thread as it is, because it is not looking like going anywhere except losing on all sides.

And yes I do remember your recent efforts at Rosedale, and am looking forward to seeing your 60.10 barrel in action at one of the toughest ranges in Australia (the world?) :D .

Alan Fraser
Forum Admin

Return to “Equipment & Technical”