Primer pocket depth

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

scott/r

Primer pocket depth

#1 Postby scott/r » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:39 pm

When you guys are uniforming your primer pockets in new brass, what depth are you cutting them to? I'm just doing once fired lapua brass in 308 win at .130" which is what my cutter was originally set at, but in some cases it's only just touching the bottom of the factory pocket and not cutting all the way around the pocket. Am I not cutting deep enough or is ok to happen. I'm thinking not, because the pockets aren't all the same.
Thanks
Scott.

GrahamW

Re: Primer pocket depth

#2 Postby GrahamW » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:07 pm

Wow, do people actually re-cut the primer pocket??

All I do is run my primer pocket brush in to remove the carbon on the base of the pocket and shove a new primer in there.

What am I missing??

8-/

PhilD

#3 Postby PhilD » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:11 am

Scott,

I suspect it will have a impact depending on your primer seating tool. If you are seating by hand, or with a tool that is based on "feel" I don't believe it will be as critical to have a uniform seating depth.

If you use a tool similar to the Forster press or seating tool, that has a reference based on seating the primer in reference to the base of the case, then I believe this uniform depth will be more critical.

Forster have a good little article on seating at http://www.forsterproducts.com/product- ... ing-press/.

Cheers,

Phil

Pommy Chris

#4 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:30 pm

I personally think spending money on a better scale (mine is an A and D fx 300i) will yield real improvements. There is a lot of stuff we get obsessed with in shooting that makes no difference at all, and a lot too that does. I cant imagine messing about with primer pockets makes any difference at all. I hope not anyway as I already spend too long reloading :)
Chris

shooter mcreid

#5 Postby shooter mcreid » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Scott, I think the idea is to set the uniformer to just accommodate your primers without crushing anything. Maybe measure your primers and set it a thou or so more. I wouldn't be alarmed if it is just skimming a tiny bit off.
This process is probably getting to the pointy end of diminishing returns however the cutters are usually cheap hence in my opinion making it worthwhile, maybe just a bit labor intensive.
Graham, I haven't used one of the brush types before. Does it only remove carbon or does it take some of the brass off as well?

GrahamW

#6 Postby GrahamW » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:04 pm

shooter mcreid wrote:Graham, I haven't used one of the brush types before. Does it only remove carbon or does it take some of the brass off as well?

I used to use the blade type and would often notice brass shavings but since changing to the brush I found it a lot quicker and no noticeable brass being removed.

Blade type.
blade.jpg

RCBS brush type.
rcbs_brush.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scott/r

#7 Postby scott/r » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:12 pm

[quote="shooter mcreid"]Scott, I think the idea is to set the uniformer to just accommodate your primers without crushing anything. Maybe measure your primers and set it a thou or so more. I wouldn't be alarmed if it is just skimming a tiny bit off.

That makes a lot of sense. Insert facepalm here.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”