Gem Pro 250 issue

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

johnk

Gem Pro 250 issue

#1 Postby johnk » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:00 pm

I know the answer is bin it but here's the story anyway.

These Gem Pro scales have been good to me over the last 5-7 years, functioning repeatably, not wandering the zero & consistent week in week out when tested with standard weights that I make for every common load I use, either by trimming lead tip bullets or trimming obsolete brass keys.

They run only 240v & I have suppression on the cable from the transformer. I always light them up at least half a day before I use them.

Yesterday & today, I've had to run up some loads & while the process has been consistent, on two or three occasions for a short time, the zero went apeshot, jumping plus and/or minus 5-6 miligrams for no apparent reason. Once the aberration settled, I immediately tested with the standard weight & confirmed that all was in order, but this sort of messing about certainly mindf**** a person.

Anybody had similar experiences?

RMc

Re: Gem Pro 250 issue

#2 Postby RMc » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Have you got a phone or similar close by, the interference will cause what you have stated.

RMc

GrahamW

#3 Postby GrahamW » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Here's a few tips for using electronic scales I found.

14 Tips for Electronic Powder Scale Accuracy
14_Tips_for_Electronic_Powder_Scale_Accuracy.pdf

8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

argh

#4 Postby argh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:34 pm

I had similar issues with mine. Lost zero and started weighing eratically. ... had no phoenes nearby, and my setup hadnt changed. I am yet to send mine back as yet, but planning on chasing their lifetime waranty.
Weighing on my cheapy ebay scales for no loss of accuracy, and my SD is running pretty low so i am in no rush for new scales
Adrian

johnk

#5 Postby johnk » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:46 pm

Thanks, Graham, but I have those points covered. The one he missed stating was always start with an empty tared pan on the scale & bring the powder to it, not remove it to load a preliminary charge in.

GrahamW

#6 Postby GrahamW » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:52 pm

johnk wrote:Thanks, Graham, but I have those points covered. The one he missed stating was always start with an empty tared pan on the scale & bring the powder to it, not remove it to load a preliminary charge in.

No worries John, didn't really think it would be too relevant to your issue but more of a general guide for those just starting using electronic scales.

8-)

Return to “Equipment & Technical”