Medical Query

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Old Trev-39

Medical Query

#1 Postby Old Trev-39 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi All,
It appears as if I shall have to have a shoulder joint replacement in the near future. I was wondering if anyone out there has had one and how it affected shooting. I shoot a .284 Win. in 1000yd. B/R. light gun (17lb.) and was wondering how the recoil would go on the new joint.
Any experience or information would be appreciated.
Cheers.
Trevor.

Julian D

Re: Medical Query

#2 Postby Julian D » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:24 am

Not sure about a joint replacement, but I had the end of my collarbone cut off, about an inch of it and wired down into place. I was shooting trap at the time & could not handle the recoil, not so much the pain, but the fact that my shoulder would flap about like an untrained seal.

It took a year or 2 before it felt like it was stable enough to cope, now I shoot FTR, just recently started testing 215's at 2700fps and have no issues with recoil.

Good luck Trevor, hope it all works out for you, may just mean you have to do some strength training after the op. to build it back up.

Tim N

#3 Postby Tim N » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:14 am

Maybe you could set up to shoot left handed(assuming you are right handed)
I can shoot either way, something I picked up spotlight shooting.
If you are faced with a long recovery time, it might be an option.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

bolster55

#4 Postby bolster55 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:57 am

I've had both shoulders rebuilt, so to speak, it takes a while to get over. I shot off a bench for about a month. the biggest issue I found was reaching the knobs etc on my front stand, stretching your arm with your body weight on it can be difficult.

Old Trev-39

#5 Postby Old Trev-39 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks fellas. Tim I am thinking of trying L/H shooting before the event. Am trying to put it off for as long as possible, but sometimes the ache gets the better of me and I want it done to-morrow.
Cheers
Trevor.

Brad Y

#6 Postby Brad Y » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:59 pm

Trev, I would look closer at shooting something slightly lighter in recoil. Maybe a 260ai? Ballistics aren't far off

Jacobeen

#7 Postby Jacobeen » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:20 am

Brad,
I was about to go under the knife (not as serious as you) but saw a physio who gave me a series of resistive exercises done with rubber bands. I did these and from a painful start to full recovery in 6 weeks. Even if you cannot start with therabands or other exercises I believe that professionally guided self help to condition the surrounding musculature will make a long term difference.
J

Return to “Equipment & Technical”