Nightforce Benchrest lens cap/apeture

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Lee Bament

Nightforce Benchrest lens cap/apeture

#1 Postby Lee Bament » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:38 am

I have nightforce benchrest scope with an extended sunshade fitted and am thinking about boring out the front lens cap to act as an aperture. To try to give me a bit more depth of focus on those mirage days. There are a few out there to suggest that it will work ?

I am oldish and wear multi focals, so I don't mind losing a bit of mirage wind reading for some enhanced clarity ? Has anyone an opinion on a starting size to try. I am thinking of starting at about 40mm maybe up to 45mm.
Fapope

johnk

Re: Nightforce Benchrest lens cap/apeture

#2 Postby johnk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:28 pm

Sitting behind my coach plotting a couple of teams in the past, I concluded that on the March 6-60 at least, a baffle certainly increases the field of view put simultaneously picks up the commensurate mirage.

AndrewP

Re: Nightforce Benchrest lens cap/apeture

#3 Postby AndrewP » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:01 pm

Lee, it is easy to cut reducing baffles from stiff black paper and use the sunshade to hold them against the bottom of the lens thread. Use the OD of the lens shade thread for the outside circle and draw what ever size you want with a compass inside that. 40mm seem to work for me over varying conditions. As you are concentrating on the centre of the lens when shooting, the peripheral is not so critical, just cut the centre circle out as neat as possible.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”