Carbon Removal

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlanA

Carbon Removal

#1 Postby AlanA » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi all,
Some advice please. Has anyone ever used the CRC product Clean-R-Carb to remove carbon fouling? I'm looking for an alternative to Short Scrub which is no longer available. I would use the carb cleaner with patch and bronze brush. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

johnk

Re: Carbon Removal

#2 Postby johnk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:14 pm

Try Subaru upper engine cleaner, an aerosol product available from Subaru dealers. Other similar products are available. I recall Keith Hills prefers another.

John23

#3 Postby John23 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:41 am

I use nulon pro carb/injection cleaner.
I believe it's the same as Keith hills used .

I cleaned my new 6br barrel for the second time with it last week and unsure if I give it the thumbs up or not .
I can look at it in two ways .

It is either slower to remove carbon than products I have used in the past or it removes more carbon than previous products .

I applied quite a few sprays and scrubbed probably 100'times and was still getting black on my patches .

I have never spent so much time cleaning a barrel before and I was left after 10 plus years of shooting wondering if I know how to clean a barrel .

So without a good bore scope I don't know if I have been missing carbon and getting clean patches even though the bore was still dirty or if Keith's recommended product is simply chipping away at more .

I have been considering using the jiff oven cleaner i have in the kitchen .
It is 17% sodium hydroxide active ingredient and whilst not peeling off your skin cleans the stoves crustiest parts with ease .

I have read up and sodium hydroxide should have no effect on steel .
I know when working as a smith any stainless parts that went into the blue tanks cane out looking no different than before .

fgregorio

#4 Postby fgregorio » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:26 pm

I use Hoppes 9 FOAM bore cleaner and never looked back.
Caked carbon on my tuner joint came out in my first application, back down to bare metal. Copper just disappears.
Foam it, let it sit until you can see through the bore, brush it with nylon, dry patch. Patch with metho to remove residue and coat with hoppes 9, wd 40 or any other gun bore oil.
My bore cam is proof.

XCALIBRE

#5 Postby XCALIBRE » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:26 pm

The best I have used is my own 50/50 mix of Kero and a Marine degreaser. Try whatever you like or prefer first and when you think it is clean, try this with a bronze brush. There is a warning; Does not remove copper and be prepared for 5 or 6 shots to settle the bore back down.
F TROOP, SHOOTING F CLASS.

johnk

#6 Postby johnk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Was a time when we used Penetrine & a good oil (Sweets or Ballistol) 50/50. It seemed to be able to get under just about anything after the barrel was scrubbed hot with a bronze brush. Maybe I should try it again, though, as I recall, it needed foulers before a barrel would group again.

Nude nut

#7 Postby Nude nut » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:31 am

Hi guys,
New member here my goto powder fouling and carbon remover is mecury tune up spray have grat results with this you only need a bronze brush for the most stubborn bits of carbon.

Now if you want to try somthing a bit different spin your barrel of plug the muzzle end and use boiling water and citric acid I posted a thread on accurate shooter about this Im still doing tests on the amount of citric acid and time all I can say results were stella now will it take real hard carbon as a neglected barrel would have time will tell as Im neglecting the barrel in using at the moment to test this out.

Cheers trev.

Longranger

#8 Postby Longranger » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:03 pm

I use Evinrude Johnson Outboard Tuner. Drench the barrel while still hot and leave muzzle down for about half an hour at least, turning occasionally. This stuff seems as good as any and bore scope inspections are revealing little if any carbon after 6 passes with a bronze brush. Patch out normally and if necessary, soak a patch with it and leave until the next shoot.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”