Question for the smart ones

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Julian D

Question for the smart ones

#1 Postby Julian D » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:37 am

Is it easier to find a node & tune it if you are running a straight parallel barrel ?
As opposed to say a varmint profile ?

I ask this because I am trying to get my head around barrel vibration & wondering if having a barrel that tapers off to a smaller diameter means that the vibrations would speed up as the barrel tapers off, and whether or not that is a disadvantage.

I have an awful lot more questions regarding this subject but I will start off with this one.

ShaneG

Re: Question for the smart ones

#2 Postby ShaneG » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:00 am

Firstly Julian I am definitely not smart enough to answer that question!
You need Peter S and Dave Mac!

However my own observations would be the heavier the barrel profile the easier they seem to tune?

With F/TR the trade off due to weight restrictions is barrel length and thus lost V.

I see some going with light actions and stocks in order to achieve heavy barrel profile.

All the best
Shane

Julian D

#3 Postby Julian D » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:23 am

Thanks Shane & I would certainly put you in the smart category, you have been around for a while & shot at the highest level.

The question has more to do with the taper of the barrel, I use heavy palma jiggers, where they seem to be quite thick at the chamber for about 3" , then a slight taper to the muzzle, but some varmint profiles stay at the 1.25" from the chamber for 5" or so & taper down to the muzzle. Just wondering if either has an advantage, or whether or not it would be even noticeable ?

fgregorio

#4 Postby fgregorio » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Julian D wrote:Is it easier to find a node & tune it if you are running a straight parallel barrel ?

I ask this because I am trying to get my head around barrel vibration & wondering if having a barrel that tapers off to a smaller diameter means that the vibrations would speed up as the barrel tapers off, and whether or not that is a disadvantage.

I have an awful lot more questions regarding this subject but I will start off with this one.

Vibrations propagation speed (speed of sound in steel) is constant and independent of the sectional area.
Put on a barrel tuner that has the thimble ahead of the muzzle.
Tap the barrel with your fingernail feeling the sound and vibration of the barrel.
You should find a dead spot 4 inches or so from the muzzle.
Screw the thimble forward until said spot is AT the muzzle.
Tap the barrel again to find the spot where the barrel resonates the most.
Get some Megasorb and apply it in that spot.
Tap again to fine tune with the thimble the position of the dead spot.
Ladder test 20rds x 0.1 gr increments
Find the tune, 3 shot groups/ 1/16th of a turn until it shoots the smallest.
Tune for each distance, the points should be in sequence and similar to the elevation come ups in proportionin the thimble scale.
Keep records.
If a range requires less or more elevation than your home range adjust in proportion.
Hope it helps.
Good luck.

plumbs7

#5 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:52 pm

fgregorio wrote:
Julian D wrote:Is it easier to find a node & tune it if you are running a straight parallel barrel ?

Vibrations propagation speed (speed of sound in steel) is constant and independent of the sectional area.
Put on a barrel tuner that has the thimble ahead of the muzzle.
Tap the barrel with your fingernail feeling the sound and vibration of the barrel.
You should find a dead spot 4 inches or so from the muzzle.
Screw the thimble forward until said spot is AT the muzzle.
Tap the barrel again to find the spot where the barrel resonates the most.
Get some Megasorb and apply it in that spot.
Tap again to fine tune with the thimble the position of the dead spot.
Ladder test 20rds x 0.1 gr increments
Find the tune, 3 shot groups/ 1/16th of a turn until it shoots the smallest.
Tune for each distance, the points should be in sequence and similar to the elevation come ups in proportionin the thimble scale.
Keep records.
If a range requires less or more elevation than your home range adjust in proportion.
Hope it helps.
Good luck.

Hmmm , sounds a little familiar to what we've been doing with orings !
Julian , I'm not the smart one either, but you will get more harmonics out of a lighter profile than a heavier one which could make it harder to tune like Shane said ! But if you can tap into these node for a positive tune that hold at 500 yds and make hay at 1000 yds the lighter profile maybe a little better ! ??
I really believe these days you cannot compete and hold a tune throughout all conditions without harmonics control of some sort !
Regards Graham.

Julian D

#6 Postby Julian D » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Thank you gents. Very informative. :D

JasonO

#7 Postby JasonO » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:18 pm

fgregorio,
A great straight answer minus any cryptics. Very refreshing and thanx for sharing your methods.
Jason.

fgregorio

#8 Postby fgregorio » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Shoota wrote:fgregorio,
A great straight answer minus any cryptics. Very refreshing and thanx for sharing your methods.
Jason.

Thanks brother. :)

Return to “Equipment & Technical”