6 x 47 Lapua

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

XCALIBRE

6.5x47

#46 Postby XCALIBRE » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:56 pm

Two things I have learnt with the 6.5x47 Lapua and the 6.5x50 Bearcat is that they are burning at maximum effeciency under max loads with the heavier projectiles (142's and 130's). That max load is just on the line of primer pocket expansion with the " magic" group just over the line. No one can afford the very short case life which puts the short case out of the square. A bigger case does not solve the problem of obtaining the unique efficiency of the shorter case and sharper shoulder angle. Eg. the 260 Rem with 20* shoulder and short neck. Or 243 AI with even a shorter neck. More "Meat" is required around the Primer pocket for the higher pressures. Then we start looking at rimmed cases. Not much there other than the 30-30 cases. Still food for thought, but not the same long range.
For what it's worth , I have found that 5 0r 10 firings of these cases at initial lower pressures ( loads) tend to toughen up the primer pockets by slightly work hardening the brass base. This has allowed me to increase the loading slightly to jump the velocity to a leading edge. Would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts and findings.
F TROOP, SHOOTING F CLASS.

Wayne

#47 Postby Wayne » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:55 pm

does anyone have some loads for 6.5 x 47 using 2208 or 2209 range of powders?
keep shooting f class and air rifle

Return to “Equipment & Technical”