6x47 lapua

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

macguru

6x47 lapua

#1 Postby macguru » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:15 pm

Has anyone else tried CCI450 small rifle magnum primers in their rifle ? Did you notice any differences in pressure or velocity or group size over br4s ?

perhaps those with 6.5x47 would like to comment as well ? (I cannot see that magnum primers would be needed in 6br class rounds )
id quod est

Old Trev-39

Re: 6x47 lapua

#2 Postby Old Trev-39 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:51 pm

I have used them in my .30 B.R. and found no difference from BR4 and Fed 205.
Cheers,
Trevor

Chris S

#3 Postby Chris S » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:22 pm

I tried the CCI SRM 450's in my 6BR and 6mm Dasher and while sceptical of any change,
I seem to have tighter elevations. Have not chrono'd these primers to check velocity, SD etc.
Did chrono Fed. 205 and CCI BR4 primers and they are so close in velo and SD it did not matter.

cheers,
Chris
You can never carry too much ammo...
unless you are drowning or on fire.

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:52 pm

There's more than one thread around claiming ignition issues with CCI450s. One of the shooters in the Australia Cup at the weekend suffered his third & fourth ignition failure with the batch he's using at the moment.

macguru

#5 Postby macguru » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:33 pm

I tried them today and got a good group, a bit better than the BR4s but there was too much mirage to say anything conclusive. They all went bang and they shot a little higher at 300, maybe 1/8. more to follow. The 6/6.5x47 case is nearly as big as a 308 so I imagine 308palma brass shooters have experimented with these magnum primers as well....
id quod est

Razer

#6 Postby Razer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:45 pm

I bought 308W Lapua Palma brass when it first came onto the Australian market.
Long before that I searched every website I could to see just what small primers were best suited and, without fail, the testing that came out of the states showed that CCI 450 magnums were the best in all aspects, low SD etc.
These results were from a mix of TR, FO and benchrest sites.
I have yet to have a CCI 450 primer fail, though my current stock are 3 years old and would not be a fair comparison to todays batches.
If I have ever had ignition problems with any primer, regardless of brand or type, the first thing I check is the firing pin.
To have repeated ignition problems with a given batch of primers is not a conclusive test of that batch of primers but, any one of a number of unrelated problems.
Head space, firing pin/spring are just starters.
The difference between Lapua Brass with CCI LR primers and Lapua Palma Brass with CCI 450 magnum loaded exactly the same apart from primer is negligible.(this was covered sometime ago in another topic).

williada

#7 Postby williada » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:16 pm

Used the 450's is three chamberings. .223, 6,6.5x47 and .308 Palma and they performed superbly as Razer has commented on. In fact they were better in the .223 and another clubmate who uses a .223 and can belt the pants off other classes with it, uses them too. However, we have both had ignition failures with them. When they go bang they are great. Still got thousands to use up and I am not concerned about the odd failure for club shooting. Yet to have a poor result when they have ignited, but it does raise doubt about the possibility of variable ignition particularly for the long ranges if you were considering their use at a championship level. The firing pin protrusion and impact pressure has been checked on my gear and I store the primers in a cool dry place. But we can not guarantee what storage procedures were before we received our merchandise or know whether it was a batch thing. One of the problems when you buy bulk. Could be false economy with powder and primers.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”