Bullet Pointing

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

phillh

Bullet Pointing

#1 Postby phillh » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi all,

I have a friend who has pointed some Berger 155.5 projectiles for me and I recently tried them at 1000y. I fired the first stage with un-pointed bullets then the second with pointed. To my surprise I found no difference in elevation between the two!

Just wondering if anyone has had similar results or in fact anyone has found they make a big difference?

My barrel is a 1:12.

Thanks in advance.

Phill

shooter mcreid

Re: Bullet Pointing

#2 Postby shooter mcreid » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:51 pm

I have always had about half min at least at 1000. Just to confirm that they where pointed only with no trimming?

phillh

#3 Postby phillh » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:37 am

They were pointed and then using a smooth file just to even up the end of the projectile to make it uniform and flat.

shooter mcreid

#4 Postby shooter mcreid » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:21 am

There is a interesting section in Bryan litzs's latest book that talks about pointing and what effect different types/shapes of bullets can expect to have. If memory serves his results showed that projectiles that used the whidden pointing insert no.1 (pointer bullets) experienced a nice average gain as apposed to bullets that used the insert no.0 on average didn't get any huge gains. I'll double check the book tonight to make sure I have got the facts correct and edit accordingly if needed.
Something else to add is I have noticed you need to make sure you remove any burrs if you are using any trimming or filing.
I guess it's no secret that I'm a fan of bullet pointing!
Last edited by shooter mcreid on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

williada

#5 Postby williada » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:35 am

Phill I use a Whidden system when I feel the need as it does help, but it is one more thing to do. Why I feel you can not distinguish the benefits in terms of elevation are more likely due to the compensation profile of your barrel, but the benefits of velocity may show up in a good chronograph on a decent sample size. David.

johnk

#6 Postby johnk » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:54 am

I meplat then point my 1200 yard MR bullets. I've found I can do an acceptable sort based on eyeballing the cut size of the meplat, batch & point each group of them accordingly. I've found puddling them round when molying gets rid of fine burrs. When I do both I seem to clean up the brim of my grouping bell curve, but I've no idea if there is a significant elevation movement between them as I've never shot them together for comparison & otherwise at 1000 to 1200 yards about any change to ambient conditions will change elevation.

I'm the first acolyte of if it's a bugger to prove, why bother?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”