Load tune vs barrel tune

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

scott/r

Re: Load tune vs barrel tune

#46 Postby scott/r » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:42 pm

AlanF wrote:
scott/r wrote:...Now I can hear all you guys saying, "why bother, you're aloud 2moa for a bull." And you may be right, but if my rifle is capable of shooting 1/2moa and better with in it self, then the rest is all up to me to work on.

That sort of statement is made quite often by F-Class shooters who I'm afraid to say don't know what they're talking about. In the same way that F-Classers go to great lengths to extract a poofteenth better accuracy out of there equipment, TR shooters will also benefit to some degree by improving every aspect. All else being equal, a TR shooter with only marginally better equipment accuracy will score better.

If I was shooting TR, it would have a scope rail on it, and a good part of testing would be done using a scope sight, and front and rear rests, to reduce sighting and holding errors and concentrate purely on rifle accuracy. Of course this isn't ideal, because both a scope and sling may affect harmonics, but unlikely to be enough to negate the benefits.

Yeh, Alan, I get it quite often. And not just from f class shooters.
I do use a scope for development, thanks to a comment from you about 12 months ago, and it's made a big difference to my scores. With the old barrel I did the load development with the front sight on upside down, but witn this new barrel I think I'll give this new line of thinking a go.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”